[Peace-discuss] Fw: CCHCC Annual Dinner & Adbook -- AWARE

LAURIE SOLOMON LAURIE at ADVANCENET.NET
Fri Mar 27 14:08:35 CDT 2009

>1.  Obviously, abortion is, for many people who have opinions about it,
very
>centrally & crucially a matter of theological dogma & religious doctrine.

And it, along with anti-abortion, may be a very central feature of secular
socio-political thought for those who may not believe in theological dogmas
and/or religious doctrines - particularly as it relates to such concepts as
one's body as being "private property" of a sort as suggested by privacy
arguments and to individual rights and freedoms of the individual versus the
State or society.

>2.  Are there any good philosophical arguments for the view that abortion
is NOT wrong?

Obviously, the answer turns on ones criteria for a "good" versus "adequate"
versus "satisfactory" versus "bad" philosophical argument. I suppose one
could argue that overpopulation can result in an environmental disaster that
would have negative consequences for future human beings and other species
of animals along with the possibilities of their survival.  Their interests
should and must be represented and protected just as that of currently
existing human beings and certainly to the same extent as the unborn.  Would
that be good enough to qualify?

>3.  Again, aside from the theological & philosophical arguments one way or
the
>other, remains the fundamental issue of whether the coercive power of the
State
>should be used to prevent or punish it.  I'm wondering if we will again get
an
>evasion on this crucial point, as we have done before.

I agree with the first sentence; but I do not understand the second.  What
do you mean by "get an evasion on this?" An evasion of the question by whom?