[Peace-discuss] Fw: CCHCC Annual Dinner & Adbook -- AWARE

Randall Cotton recotton at earthlink.net
Sat Mar 28 09:08:50 CDT 2009

----- Original Message -----
From: "LAURIE SOLOMON" <LAURIE at ADVANCENET.NET>
To: "'Ron Szoke'" <r-szoke at illinois.edu>; "'John Fettig'"
<john.fettig at gmail.com>
Cc: "'Morton K. Brussel'" <brussel at illinois.edu>;
<peace-discuss at lists.chambana.net>
Sent: Friday, March 27, 2009 10:28 PM
Subject: RE: [Peace-discuss] Fw: CCHCC Annual Dinner & Adbook -- AWARE

: I am not sure what argument is being referred to here; but I think that
any
: argument pro or con regarding abortion or any kind of killing should
: probably be applicable to the killing of other species as well as to
plants,
: viruses, and bacteria. It is certainly arrogant to say the least to
assert
: that human being are a superior race to all other life forms or
: presumptuously irresponsible to assume that human beings are superior to
: other life forms and because of that do not have an obligation to those
: inferior life forms under our charge to preserve, protect, and maintain
: their safety and right to life. If we can kill chickens, pigs,
cockroaches,
: roses, trees, lettuce, carrots, corn, etc., why shouldn't we be able
with
: equal disregard for life be able to kill people?

I'd say the answer here is that people, as a group, are able to and will
almost always find a way to fight back. Whatever suffering is inflicted
upon people tends to result in a reaction from people that has serious
repercussions for the aggressor, sometimes worse than the original
infliction.

I'd say that if cockroaches, in reaction to any of them being killed by
humans, talked to each other and joined together to infest the home of the
responsible humans or people they care about, covering the floors, walls,
ceilings and any other surface, human or otherwise, then eventually it
would also be considered wrong to kill them as well.

PS: I am assuming it's physically impossible for humans to exterminate the
entire cockroach race. If it was possible, I'm confident that is the route
we would take.

: