[Peace-discuss] abortion rights argument

John Fettig john.fettig at gmail.com
Mon Mar 30 22:41:56 CDT 2009

Hi Ricky,

On Mon, Mar 30, 2009 at 9:00 PM, Ricky Baldwin <baldwinricky at yahoo.com> wrote:
> If I may, I think the point you want to make is that my unfortunate patient
> got into this mess through his or her own actions.

Yes, this is exactly how I was trying to extend the analogy.  It was
the first thing that popped into my head, probably because of the
ongoing discussion in the n-g about red light cameras, but I digress.
I think the poker game is a better analogy.  The key is that the
person in question enters into the gamble aware of both the odds and
the consequences of "winning".

> Even if I sign a specific agreement to give you one of my kidneys, for
> example, I can change my mind. - even if you will certainly die as a
> result.  It is tragic if you die, but it is not my moral obligation to keep
> you alive in this way.  Even if money has exchanged hands, I can give the
> money back, or try to raise it.  Or at worst I can be done for breach of
> contract.  But I cannot be *forced* to give up my kidney, much less submit
> to the scenario above, not ethically.  That's the point.

But what if the transplant surgery has already taken place?  Certainly
then you wouldn't be allowed to have your kidney back.  Likewise,
let's say if you win the poker game, you are immediately and without
option connected to the future of someone else through this complex
system of tubes.  I think that's the only way the analogy holds.

John