FW: [Peace-discuss] The current state of the liberal mind

LAURIE SOLOMON LAURIE at ADVANCENET.NET
Sun May 3 14:19:13 CDT 2009

>"Toxic fiefdoms"?!  As in, pestilential appanages

Unfortunately, you apparently believe in engaging in the same sort of
mystification by means of $1,000 words as those that you want to satirize.

> he has to mix his metaphors from pre-capitalist sources?

And who is to say that Capitalism and periods of industrial and
post-industrial Capitalism are not in their own fashion and way forms of
medieval society with fiefdoms and all? If indeed capitalist society is just
another form of medieval society, then he may not be mixing metaphors as you
suggest.  From where I stand, the main difference between the pre-capitalist
societies and the capitalist societies is one of agrarian and industrial
primarily in which the wage earning workers are no less serfs than the
peasant serfs and the gentleman farmer property owners were no more wealthy
royalty than the current batch of capitalist property and business owners
along with their white collar managers, who0 perform the traditional roles
of control agents for those they represent and work for.

While I think there is a lot to criticize Rich for mixing metaphors is
probably the least mystifying and the least important.  Obvbiously, although
he has not explicitly ruled them out, there are more than just two toxic
fiefdoms that should keep the President awake at night; and some of them are
of his own doing and now beyond his control. One may very well be the US
government itself and especially the Executive Branch.  The other may be the
rise of viral and vigilante fundamental religiosity and dogmatic evangelical
promotion of secular and religious ideologies and believes both within the
US and throughout the world with the support and encouragement of the US.