[Peace-discuss] Stopping Pakistan Drone Strikes Suddenly Plausible

C. G. Estabrook galliher at illinois.edu
Tue May 5 09:03:29 CDT 2009

Obviously the USG should be pressed to stop the criminal "drone strikes." But it
should also be clear what Kilcullen -- a flack for Petraeus and the
administration -- is doing.

John W. posted a clear explanation, from Pepe Escobar in Asia Times Online:

    During a first stage - let's call it the branding of evil - Washington
think-tanks and corporate media hammered non-stop on the "threat of al-Qaeda" to
Pakistan and the US. FATA was branded as terrorist central - the most dangerous
place in the world where "the terrorists" and an army of suicide bombers were
trained and unleashed into Afghanistan to kill the "liberators" of US/NATO.

    In the second stage, the new Obama administration accelerated the Predator
"hell from above" drone war over Pashtun peasants. Now comes the stage where the
soon over 100,000-strong US/NATO troops are depicted as the true liberators of
the poor in Af-Pak (and not the "evil" Taliban) - an essential ploy in the new
narrative to legitimize Obama's Af-Pak surge.

Kilcullen is a "defense intellectual" who promotes Petraeus "counterinsurgency"
doctrine.  That's the administration's strategy for the winning the Long War --
establishing US control over Mideast energy resources -- and it includes killing
a lot of people.

Of course the US has no right to do so -- and has to lie about what it is doing.
Invaders have no rights. We should be demanding the removal of US troops from
the Middle East -- particularly from AfPak, where the administration thinks the
most serious resistance to US control is coming from.