[Peace-discuss] NYT review of Cole

C. G. Estabrook galliher at illinois.edu
Sun May 10 14:18:58 CDT 2009

You're quite right.  Note that the NYT corespondent assigned the job of bringing
Cole's account into accord with the Standard Liberal American Narrative Tone is
none other than the NYT's Washington correspondent, David Sanger, who's been
playing the role for Obama War that famous NYTimeswoman Judith Miller payed for
Bush War.

Actually, the job wasn't too tough.  Cole reminds me of those American liberal
academics of forty years ago, from John Fairbank to Alexander Woodside at
Harvard et al., who patiently explained that the reason the US was having
trouble in SE Asia was that we didn't speak Vietnamese (or Chinese) and didn't
understand the culture (and they would explain it to us).

There was of course another way to oppose the war in Vietnam, other than saying
it was being done badly: that was to condemn it as an imperialists crime. In
exasperation, the Committee of Concerned Asian Scholars was founded (1968) to
assert that opinion over against the received liberal academic view.

Something similar seems necessary today.  --CGE