[Peace-discuss] AfPak: Congress Clears Its Throat

Robert Naiman naiman.uiuc at gmail.com
Tue May 12 01:07:06 CDT 2009

On Tue, May 12, 2009 at 12:28 AM, C. G. Estabrook <galliher at illinois.edu> wrote:
> Options 2 & 3 look like simply giving cover to representatives to vote
> funding for the war -- as "timeliness" did in the last administration.

I think in another context it would be a serious concern whether
something like the McGovern Amendment provides "cover" for Members to
vote yes on the money. But in this context I don't see it as a serious
concern, because there is virtually zero prospect of defeating the
money, or even having a meaningful battle against it, even if there
were no McGovern Amendment or any other initiative. So the likely
outcomes in this round are 1) pure ratification of the status quo or
2) some creation of a crack in the wall. The political context is such
that few Members need much "cover" to vote yes on the money because
there's hardly any pressure to vote no on the money, nor likely to be
much for the forseeable future. Certainly the overwhelming majority of
Republicans will feel virtually zero pressure to vote no on war money
anytime soon.

> You point out that the McGovern amendment is in fact Obama's position.

Obama's position at the level of rhetoric, not yet at the level of practice.