[Peace-discuss] Diplomatic revolution, to some extent

C. G. Estabrook galliher at illinois.edu
Wed May 13 23:54:11 CDT 2009

	Hawks Divided: AfPak or Iran?
	by Jim Lobe and Daniel Luban, May 11, 2009

A potentially major clash appears to be developing between powerful factions
inside and outside the U.S. government, pitting those who see the
Afghanistan/Pakistan ("AfPak") theater as the greatest potential threat to U.S.
national security against those who believe that the danger posed by a nuclear
Iran must be given priority.

The Iran hawks, concentrated within the Israeli government and its U.S.
supporters in the so-called Israel lobby here, want to take aggressive action
against Iran’s nuclear program by moving quickly to a stepped-up sanctions regime.

Many suggest that Israel or the U.S. may ultimately have to use military force
against Tehran if President Barack Obama’s diplomatic efforts at engagement do
not result at least in a verifiable freeze – if not a rollback - of the program
by the end of the year.

Their opponents appear to be concentrated at the Pentagon, where top leaders are
more concerned with providing a level of regional stability that will allow the
U.S. to wind down its operations in Iraq, step up its counter-insurgency effort
in Afghanistan, and, above all, ensure the security of the Pakistani state and
its nuclear weapons...

[The full article -- which seems to me to over-estimate the influence of the
"Iran hawks" (their position seems to have been pretty decisively rejected in
the administration) and, worse, fails to put the administration's real policy in
the context of its general and constant war aims -- can be found at
<original.antiwar.com/lobe/2009/05/10/hawks-divided-afpak-or-iran/>. --CGE]