[Peace-discuss] July 4 parade

LAURIE SOLOMON LAURIE at ADVANCENET.NET
Wed May 20 12:28:06 CDT 2009

Right!  Why not use that quote on the float; I am sure it would go over big
with the crowd, who have cast Lincoln into the role of a non-racist god -
the great emancipator.  For those racists in the crowd, the quote should
serve to fuel a new round of overt outright racism legitimated by the words
of Lincoln.

Fortunately, this bit of racist verbiage is too long and detailed to fit on
a float and be readily read by those in the crowd who are literate enough to
read beyond a second grade level.

From: peace-discuss-bounces at lists.chambana.net
[mailto:peace-discuss-bounces at lists.chambana.net] On Behalf Of E. Wayne
Johnson
Sent: Wednesday, May 20, 2009 6:46 AM
To: C. G. Estabrook
Cc: Peace-discuss; Karen Medina
Subject: Re: [Peace-discuss] July 4 parade

Another Lincoln quote:

"I will say then that I am not, nor ever have been in favor of bringing
about in anyway the social and political equality of the white and black
races - that I am not nor ever have been in favor of making voters or jurors
of negroes, nor of qualifying them to hold office, nor to intermarry with
white people; and I will say in addition to this that there is a physical
difference between the white and black races which I believe will forever
forbid the two races living together on terms of social and political
equality. And inasmuch as they cannot so live, while they do remain together
there must be the position of superior and inferior, and I as much as any
other man am in favor of having the superior position assigned to the white
race. I say upon this occasion I do not perceive that because the white man
is to have the superior position the Negro should be denied everything."

-  Charleston IL September 18, 1858