[Peace-discuss] Accepting the lie about the causes of wars

C. G. Estabrook galliher at illinois.edu
Thu May 21 15:36:41 CDT 2009

Dickens' insight is another example of the truth of the maxim that the poets
always get there first.

And Denson's view is given specificity by the leading revisionist (radical)
historian of the last (or so) generation (reading whom was a revelation to me,
lo those many years ago), William Appleman Williams (1921-90).

The *effect* of Lincoln’s policy was certainly to establish a much more powerful
central government in the United States. Hence the old line that the Civil War
was about a verb: “the United States is” vs. “the United States are.”

But the *cause* of the war was the conflict between two ruling groups who
exploited labor differently — by slavery in the South, by the wage-contract in
the North.  And Lincoln recognized that quite well -- notably in his "house
divided" speech and, even more specifically, in his first State of the Union
Address, 3 December 1861. The Northern and Southern elites came into conflict
after the Mexican War and the vast increase of US territory that followed it.

    "Both groups wanted to control the western half of the continent, and the
Northern agrarians became increasingly anti-slavery as they faced the prospect
of competing against a forced-labor system. But favoring free soil did not mean
agitating to free the black man. The majority of Western farmers were not
abolitionists ... Their objective was to exclude both the white planter and the
black [workers] from the trans-Mississippi marketplace. That goal, and the
attitude which produced it, gave Abraham Lincoln his victory over the
abolitionist element in the newly rising Republican party." --W. A. Williams,
"The Roots of the Modern American Empire" (1969), p. 10.

The Radical Republicans (and Lincoln) were not necessarily abolitionist and only
adventitiously democratic. They just wanted the trans-Mississippi empire farmed
with wage-labor, not slave-labor. (Hence the central Republican party plank was
“no extension of slavery.”)  --CGE