[Peace-discuss] the stinkin' lincoln legacy

Morton K. Brussel brussel at illinois.edu
Thu May 21 20:43:48 CDT 2009

On May 21, 2009, at 7:56 PM, C. G. Estabrook wrote:

> The "tendency to blend blend different situations together" is
> called history, as distinguished from chronicles. I actually meant
> to speak up for the "weather man," who "blends" by comparison and
> contrast.

Silly or not. Where some see similarities, others see important
differences. There is great arbitrariness in the interpretation of
historical events, nuances some are not capable of understanding.

> Perhaps you could make distinctions among the items on my list and
> tell us which are worth discussing -- and for which ones the
> discussion is "pointless"?  (And perhaps, how you made the
> distinctions...)

I did, briefly. Yours is simply a rhetorical question.

> The Civil War -- or one highly inaccurate interpretation of it -- is
> a powerful justificatory myth for US foreign policy.  Both Bush and
> Obama have compared themselves to Lincoln, and they're hardly alone
> among US presidents. We have to be able to say how and why they're
> talking nonsense.

Yes, we have to recognize nonsense, such as Bush and Obama comparing
themselves (if they did) to Lincoln, and with respect to your
interpretation of the Civil War being a justification for later wars.

Did you read Foner's article?

> The important passage Wayne quoted says accurately, "It is time that
> Americans learn the truth about the real reasons behind our wars" --
> and that there are connections, even among "different situations."
> Refusing to talk about it means the terrorists win. --CGE

1858 was the date of that quotation. I go along with Foner, who's no
apologist for war.

--mkb