[Peace-discuss] the stinkin' lincoln legacy

E. Wayne Johnson ewj at pigs.ag
Thu May 21 21:41:47 CDT 2009

These quotes seem to come unstuck in time.  In time for what, I am not
sure, but lucky for us, perhaps.

"/It is time that Americans learn the truth about the real reasons
behind our wars/..."  This quote is John Denson, 10 Jan 2006.

"/The time has come for America to hear the truth about this tragic
war./ In international conflicts, the truth is hard to come by because
most nations are deceived about themselves. Rationalizations and the
incessant search for scapegoats are the psychological cataracts that
blind us to our sins. But the day has passed for superficial patriotism.
He who lives with untruth lives in spiritual slavery. Freedom is still
the bonus we receive for knowing the truth. "Ye shall know the truth,"
says Jesus, "and the truth shall set you free." Now, I've chosen to
preach about the war in Vietnam because I agree with Dante, that the
hottest places in hell are reserved for those who in a period of moral
crisis maintain their neutrality. There comes a time when silence
becomes betrayal."  - MLK Jr, Ebenezer Baptist Church, Atlanta, 30 April
1967

/In war, truth is the first casualty/.  ~ commonly attributed to
Aeschylus  (525-456 BC)