[Peace-discuss] Re: [Discuss] Consent Decree done

Devin Chambers devin.he.chambers at gmail.com
Thu Nov 5 14:44:55 CST 2009

I think you are giving this administration far more credit than is due. I
have 3rd grade pushout at home who was in the District for the last half of
this consent decree, and have seen exactly how the administration has
treated her when sitting down with the "peace-pipe," things only got worse
and worse and District officials didn't even begin to address issues. We
dont hear about these stories because they are downplayed as irrational
rants from a single, black mother on welfare.

I have seen firsthand with other black students, some whom are in juvenile
prison, and others who dropped out, exactly how they are valued by this
District and its Administrators.  I even had two FBI agents tell me last
year that I should bring a class action suit against the District.

I have been told by many people that you were a fighter on the Board several
years ago, and I applaud your efforts and I was not referring to you in
talking about "self-appointed" black leaders.  But let's be real, we all
know how Champaign operates.  We've got all these so-called black leaders
running around acting like they represent the interests of the community,
all the while they are bowing to the District's interests because they have
their hands in their pockets, getting grants for programs and employment.

The Consent Decree was not in the hands of the people from the get-go. John
Lee understood this when trying to get a new law firm to represent
plaintiffs and filing a complaint against Carol Ashley for collusion. It's
not that the community was at the mercy of the District just at the end of
the Decree, the community was never allowed at the table once the Decree was
signed by both parties.

I would argue that there is a greater need than just mentoring programs to
prepare kids for Higher Ed. What about the pushouts? The black special
education student who was referred to the Champaign Police Department at 3rd
grade and got his teeth knocked in by a teacher in 6th grade (true story)?
All the other black children who the district casts as behavioral problems,
and less than?  I'm far more concerned about what is going on with those
children because their cries are less heard.

On Thu, Nov 5, 2009 at 11:22 AM, Melodye Rosales <melodye at nitrogendesign.com