[Peace-discuss] president's speech on afghanistan - emergency response...

Iraq Veterans Against the War ivaw.champaign at gmail.com
Wed Nov 11 18:59:02 CST 2009

I just returned from DC and will be here for two weeks!  i think this is an
EXCELLENT idea and i will try to get IVAW to co-sponsor.  i appreciate that
you have take the initiative on this.

however, if there is not an official speech and just an announcement in the
press of a troop surge, then we should advertise that we will protest the
DAY OF at 5pm.
-martin

On Wed, Nov 11, 2009 at 9:01 AM, Stuart Levy <slevy at ncsa.uiuc.edu> wrote:

> On Wed, Nov 11, 2009 at 08:51:20AM -0500, Robert Naiman wrote:
> > press speculation would suggest better than even odds that sometime in
> > November, the President will give a speech announcing that he intends
> > to send tens of thousands of more troops to Afghanistan in 2010.
> >
> > I propose to spread around in advance the idea that there will be
> > a demonstration at the Vets Memorial in Urbana at 5pm the day of the
> > president's speech.
>
> That sounds great!
>
> I'm Cc'ing IVAW, CAN, and Naeem Sheikh and Patsy Howell of the Mosque,
> hoping that they might like to do this or something like it too.
>
> Other members of the ICJPE coalition have talked about an
> emergency response up in Chicago as well -- see
>    http://icjpe.org/actions/index.php?start=12&np=4
> and
>    http://icjpe.org/actions/index.php?id=3413
>
> > the idea of 5pm the day of the speech is to try to get into the
> > president's news cycle. so that when people are watching the local tv
> > news, the first thing they see is the president's announcement and the
> > second thing they see is the local reaction: "but local protesters say
> > that escalation is not the answer."
> >
> > I furthermore propose that we invite Tim Johnson to speak. he's
> > rock-solid on this. now that's man bites dog.
> >

> > --
> > Robert Naiman
> > Just Foreign Policy
> > www.justforeignpolicy.org
> > naiman at justforeignpolicy.org

Central Illinois Iraq Veterans Against the War:
ivaw.champaign at gmail.com
facebook: Central Illinois
ivaw.org