[Peace-discuss] president's speech on afghanistan - emergency response...

Karen Medina kmedina67 at gmail.com
Wed Nov 11 23:27:30 CST 2009

> ...if we were [sic] to say, "Thank goodness Obama's not sending [all] the
> troops McChrystal wants."

It is ALWAYS hard to have a clear public statement.
Our presence on the streets can have multiple interpretations: the
real messages are more complex than a single sign can express.
Staying home could be sending several other messages, different than
the presence would be but also with many possible interpretations.

I don't like Obama's choices for advisors.
I don't think McChrystal's suggestions are worthy of Obama's consideration.
I think Congress has the constitutional right and responsibility to
stop the wars.
I don't think US Military has any accomplishable goals in Afghanistan.
I think every person the US Military sends to Afghanistan takes the
US' culture along as baggage. It is not as if the people in the
military are going to eat what the Afghanis eat or have a small
ecological footprint.

How do we best say any of this?
-karen medina