[Peace-discuss] "If Any Question Why We Died, Tell Them Because Our Fathers Lied"

Brussel Morton K. mkbrussel at comcast.net
Thu Nov 12 12:28:30 CST 2009

Christopher Cooper writes, apropos of AfPak et al. on the day after
Veterans Day  (Would that it were Armistice Day.) :

…No, we've gone too far for too long to say what we all can see-it's
pointless. Why, were we to leave now, we would dishonor the lives of
those brave boys and girls who gave their all, made the ultimate
sacrifice, shed their blood for freedom (sorry, Freedom!), for The
American Way, for drug dealer Hamid Karzai and his CIA-employed brother.

So, if staying just gets us more corpses, more sobering reminders,
more loss of blood and bullion, but we can't leave because we need to
keep killing and dying or the dying we've done will be pointless,
what's a great nation to do? Bomb them, don't you see? Burn them!
Crater the whole stinkin' sand and sediment pile and extract any
minerals we can see and lay such pipelines as the gas men and the
bankers desire and come home with honor.

—From his passionate commentary at http://www.commondreams.org/view/2009/11/12

Mr. Cooper lives in Alna, Maine. He is a simple carpenter. He writes a
column twice monthly for the editorial page of The Wiscasset
Newspaper. His editor has long since given up trying to curtail or
correct or improve him. He is convinced his country has lost its
bearings and his countrymen don't care. This is not a happy picture,
but he paints it as he sees it. He will perhaps respond to some
messages sent to coop at tidewater.net, but it will be a waste of time to
argue with him