[Peace-discuss] Fw: [gangboxnews] Implications of China's Currency Policy on Trade

E. Wayne Johnson ewj at pigs.ag
Fri Nov 20 11:29:30 CST 2009

Most of the time that I was in China (1996-2001) the official exchange
rate was ¥8.27/$1

I could pretty consistently get 9 from the "black market" since people
wanted dollars, and got 10 on one occasion in Beijing.  In Guangzhou,
dollars had to be changed to HK money first, then to RMB.  The net
result was about 9 to 1.

Today the rate is 6.83/1

There is really no such thing as fairness in regard to currency
exchange, arbitrage and the carry trade.  There are windows of
opportunity for making money simply flipping currencies in a cyclical
way until the music stops and there are no available chairs.

In 1999, software designer Bob Brill told me that his opinion was that
the exchange rate should be 4 to 1
(actual rate was 8.27 to 1)

For some items one can buy as much or more with 1 RMB in China as one
can buy in Urbana with $1, but items imported to China from the US will
be more expensive in China even after the exchange rate because of
tariffs and VAT.  Since the USD and the RMB have been cross-pegged, the
RMB has experienced similar inflation to what occurred in the GWBush
years (about 10-12%, reported as 3% using Greenspan's "geometric
adjustment").

I would suppose that a "fair exchange rate" (scientifically determined
like Avogadro's number) would be about Y3.5 to $1 for typical values of
"3.5" and "1" under STP conditions.

>>> http://groups.google.com/group/gangbox/
>>> http://gangboxnews.blogspot.com <http://gangboxnews.blogspot.com/>
>>> http://myspace.com/gregory10031