[Peace-discuss] Fw: Obama and Afghanistan

Jenifer Cartwright jencart13 at yahoo.com
Wed Nov 25 09:58:22 CST 2009

Another petition to the prez...
 --Jenifer

--- On Tue, 11/24/09, Darcy Scott Martin, TrueMajority.org <alerts at truemajority.org> wrote:

From: Darcy Scott Martin, TrueMajority.org <alerts at truemajority.org>
Subject: Obama and Afghanistan
To: jencart13 at yahoo.com
Date: Tuesday, November 24, 2009, 3:48 PM

Dear Jenifer,

Obama's about to decide whether  to send more troops.

Tell the President: DON'T.

You've probably heard that President Obama is about to decide whether to send a lot more troops to Afghanistan.1

And since you're an activist, you also know that there are a ton of reasons this would be a mistake: Hundreds more troops will be killed along with countless civilians. And we could get stuck in an Iraq-style quagmire for decades, while terrorism experts say this isn't even a good way to fight Al Qaeda.

Well, here's one more reason: The war will bankrupt our economy and divert funds we urgently need for health care, education and jobs.

Afghanistan is just about the most remote, difficult-to-access part of the world there is. Sending a gallon of gas there costs $400; keeping a soldier armed, fed and cared for costs almost $1 million a year!2

Tell President Obama -- with the economy in shambles, we just can't afford any more war. It's time to stop sending troops, and create a clear timetable to bring everyone home from Afghanistan.
http://act.truemajorityaction.org/p/dia/action/public/?action_KEY=44
We have nearly 70,000 troops already in Afghanistan,3 yet over the last few months, things have consistently gone from bad to worse despite our engagement. So it's no surprise that most Americans are now opposed to the war.4

Despite Afghanistan's problems and lack of public support, some people inside the beltway want to send a huge number of additional troops into harms way -- with no timeline for their return and no clear mission to gauge progress by.5

It's the same mistake that got us trapped in Iraq, and which President Obama has promised to avoid with a new foreign policy.

Don't let us go down the same path again - tell Obama not to send more troops.

-Darcy

Darcy Scott Martin
TrueMajority / USAction
1 - npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=120725456&sc=nl&cc=brk-20091123-1914
2 - nytimes.com/2009/11/15/us/politics/15cost.html
3 - guardian.co.uk/world/2009/nov/24/barack-obama-us-troops-afghanistan
4 - cnn.com/2009/POLITICS/11/24/afghan.poll/
5 - edition.cnn.com/2009/POLITICS/11/24/us.afghanistan/

If you received this message from a friend, you can sign up for TrueMajority.

To stop ALL email from TrueMajority, click here to remove yourself from our list.

TrueMajority.org is a grassroots group of citizens who believe in America's true values of openness, fairness and compassion. We believe participating in an effective government is the best way to be mutually responsible for our community. TrueMajority is a project of USAction, a 501(c)(4) organization under the IRS tax code.