[Peace-discuss] Limits of allowable debate

LAURIE SOLOMON LS_64 at LIVE.COM
Wed Nov 25 11:00:36 CST 2009

Yes you can be wrong about all those things; but neither you nor anyone else
would know it or be able to prove it unless one first accepted and
presupposed a position, a  specific logical system, ethical system,
epistemology, ontology, and cosmology as well as view of the world from
which to make one's interpretations and assessments.  I realize that you
assume and assert that there are absolutes and universals; and I do not.  As
a result you can make your claims, denials, and evaluations and stipulate
that they are THE TRUTH; I, on the other hand, reject such assumptions,
assertions, and conclusions.  However, that is not to say for purposes of
living in a society and surviving, I may abide by many of them and use them
as practical working premises but not as absolutes or as universal truths.
I would interpret Wittgenstein as saying that "logic or ethics being a
condition of the world and not external to it means that logic and ethics
are existential phenomena and not universals; and as such, can or cannot
exist to varying degrees, can or cannot be recognized and/or known by actors
in the world, and can or cannot take varying manifestations and forms which
can vary as to their nature, quality, and type.

As for your statement or assertion, "Someone who thought (2 + 2 = 5) would
be wrong," one would have to ask in the context of what arithmetic or
mathematical system since that would only be the case in the context of some
arithmetic or mathematical systems and not so in all.  I remind you that
2+2= 4  (just as the notion of parallel lines not meeting) is an abstract
product of analytic thought and not an empirical condition of any concrete
historical world (even as we commonsensically perceive and accept it as a
taken-for-granted given); hence its validity and truth is dependent upon the
theoretical system or context in which is is being asserted and does not
stand alone in isolation from said context.

>So would someone who thought the Shoah was acceptable behavior.

Of course , here you are technically playing word games since the original
statement was not about whether or not the Shoah was acceptable behavior; it
was whether or not it was "a vast objective evil."  The former pertains to
the acceptability of behavior while the second refers to the character of an
object or event; they are not identical or even equivalent subjects.    Even
if one asserted that the Shoah was or was not a "vast objective evil", one
could on a whole variety of non-ethical grounds find the Shoah to be
unacceptable and the behavior that it involved as being unacceptable
behavior on purely practical, political, social, or economic grounds.  This
would be true even if one asserted that the Shoah was a "vast objective
good."  Analytically, "good" or "evil" as moral characteristics  or as
objects are not necessarily relevant to evaluations of "acceptability" of
behaviors and practices; they are quite distinct and different things.

 If one were to not make the assumption that "life is valuable" and that
"people have some inherent value and intrinsic worth different from other
species, from a head of lettuce or from a rock,"  then the destruction of
them as individuals, as groups, or as a species would not be either "a vast
objective evil" or an unacceptable behavior.  Under those conditions,
someone who did not accept or make those assumptions and asserted that the
Shoah was acceptable behavior would not be wrong in the moralistic sense
that your assertion implies.  I do not think that it would make them
necessarily right either since I do not think that "right" or "wrong" are
appropriate characterizations to use with respect to things that may be
adimensional (e.g., without dimensionality) such as to be in this case
neither right nor wrong but neutral.