[Peace-discuss] Local anti-war groups

C. G. Estabrook galliher at illinois.edu
Sun Oct 4 22:38:28 CDT 2009

[The following letter, sent to Alexander Cockburn of CounterPunch.org,
describes local peace groups that sound like ours.  The trouble are apparently
general.  --CGE]

From: Martin Murie
Subject: Anti-war

I agree wholeheartedly with your [gloomy] assessment of the anti-war
organizations. However, there are still local gatherings that are and have been
solidly anti-war during this long honeymoon period. Just recently at the Yellow
Springs, Ohio demo. we had a visitor from a town, population 800, who stood
with us for a while, just passing through. He has an anti-war demo going in his
village. The great thing about these spontaneous uprisings is that they usually
don't have big names, nor meetings to attend, nor dues, nor a reach into the
mainstream. But the advantages outweigh all that: honks amd V-signs from a
good fraction of passing vehicles, even from motorcycles and big trucks.

I think there is a new wind struggling to be born: local demos. For a long
agonizing period of months Alison and I endured the ending of the Malone,
New York village's anti-war protests. They simply stopped. But now, a few
protesters have begun showing up at Veteran's Park in Malone & plan to keep it
up on a weekly basis. It's finally sinking in: the Obama presidency simply keeps
the wars going. And the mish-mash that Obama gave a few days ago, on
health care, was a dead give-away.

I know, it's hard to keep track of local anti-war protests across this beautiful
land, but I wanted to speak up for local demos. They are the little kernels that
might lead to greater results. We can keep up the struggle, even manage to get
local coverage by local media. Big statements by big outfits suck energy from
localities. They ought to be supporting protests at the grassroots level, instead
of huge marches into the heart of oblivion, Washington, D.C. These are barely
mentioned in mainstream, corporatized media and then forgotten. Meanwhile,
we contact citizens, challenge them, every week.

Peace/Resist
Martin Murie