[Peace-discuss] Honoring militarism

Morton K. Brussel brussel at uiuc.edu
Mon Oct 5 11:21:32 CDT 2009

I couldn't agree more with Hedges' over all thesis, ---about memorials
to honor the dead without pointing out what led to their deaths, or
what the suffering really was or was about.

I toured museums, towns, and memorial graveyard parks of WWI in France
a few years ago. I too was struck that the true ravages of that
conflict were usually obscured by fascinating displays of war materiel
and the recounting of the battles where valiant soldiers fought. The
essential moral messages which Hedges emphasizes were thus concealed.
At so many town and village cross roads were statues saying in
essence, "Dead for the glory of France". Many statues indeed showed
mothers weeping for their dead sons with the exclamation "No more
war", but the causes of/reasons for their losses were inevitably hidden.

It seems to be the same in all nations---honoring militarism.  --mkb

Celebrating Slaughter: War and Collective Amnesia
by Chris Hedges
War memorials and museums are temples to the god of war. The hushed
voices, the well-tended grass, the flapping of the flags allow us to
ignore how and why our young died. They hide the futility and waste of
war. They sanitize the savage instruments of death that turn young
soldiers and Marines into killers, and small villages in Vietnam or
Afghanistan or Iraq into hellish bonfires. There are no images in
these memorials of men or women with their guts hanging out of their
bellies, screaming pathetically for their mothers. We do not see
mangled corpses being shoved in body bags. There are no sights of
children burned beyond recognition or moaning in horrible pain. There
are no blind and deformed wrecks of human beings limping through life.
War, by the time it is collectively remembered, is glorified and
heavily censored.

I blame our war memorials and museums, our popular war films and
books, for the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan as much as George W. Bush.
They provide the mental images and historical references to justify
new conflicts. We equate Saddam Hussein with Adolf Hitler. We see al-
Qaida as a representation of Nazi evil. We view ourselves as eternal
liberators. These plastic representations of war reconfigure the past
in light of the present. War memorials and romantic depictions of war
are the social and moral props used to create the psychological
conditions to wage new wars.

War memorials are quiet, still, reverential and tasteful. And, like
church, such sanctuaries are important, but they allow us to forget
that these men and women were used and often betrayed by those who led
the nation into war. The memorials do not tell us that some always
grow rich from large-scale human suffering. They do not explain that
politicians play the great games of world power and stoke fear for
their own advancement. They forget that young men and women in uniform
are pawns in the hands of cynics, something Pat Tillman’s family sadly
discovered. They do not expose the ignorance, raw ambition and greed
that are the engine of war.

There is a burning need, one seen in the collective memory that has
grown up around World War II and the Holocaust, to turn the horror of
mass murder into a tribute to the triumph of the human spirit. The
reality is too unpalatable. The human need to make sense of slaughter,
to give it a grandeur it does not possess, permits the guilty to go
free. The war makers—those who make the war but never pay the price of
war—live among us. They pen thick memoirs that give sage advice. They
are our elder statesmen, our war criminals. Henry Kissinger. Robert
McNamara. Dick Cheney. George W. Bush. Any honest war memorial would
have these statesmen hanging in effigy. Any honest democracy would
place them behind bars.

Primo Levi, who survived Auschwitz, fought against the mendacity of
collective memory until he took his own life. He railed against the
human need to mask the truth of the Holocaust and war by giving it a
false, moral narrative. He wrote that the contemporary history of the
Third Reich could be “reread as a war against memory, an Orwellian
falsification of memory, falsification of reality, negation of
reality.” He wondered if “we who have returned” have “been able to
understand and make others understand our experience.” He wrote of the
Jewish collaborator Chaim Rumkowski, who ran the Lodz ghetto on behalf
of the Nazis, that “we are all mirrored in Rumkowski, his ambiguity is
ours, it is our second nature, we hybrids molded from clay and spirit.
His fever is ours, the fever of Western civilization that ‘descends
into hell with trumpets and drums.’  ” We, like Rumkowski, “come to
terms with power, forgetting that we are all in the ghetto, that the
ghetto is walled in, that outside the ghetto reign the lords of death,
and that close by the train is waiting.” We are, Levi understood,
perpetually imprisoned within the madness of self-destruction. The
rage of Cindy Sheehan, who lost her son Casey in Iraq, is a rage Levi
felt. But it is a rage most of us do not understand.

A war memorial that attempted to depict the reality of war would be
too subversive. It would condemn us and our capacity for evil. It
would show that the line between the victim and the victimizer is
razor-thin, that human beings, when the restraints are cut, are
intoxicated by mass killing, and that war, rather than being noble,
heroic and glorious, obliterates all that is tender, decent and kind.
It would tell us that the celebration of national greatness is the
celebration of our technological capacity to kill. It would warn us
that war is always morally depraved, that even in “good” wars such as
World War II all can become war criminals. We dropped the atomic bomb
on Hiroshima and Nagasaki. The Nazis ran the death camps. But this
narrative of war is unsettling. It does not create a collective memory
that serves the interests of those who wage war and permit us to
wallow in self-exaltation.

There are times—World War II and the Serb assault on Bosnia would be
examples—when a population is pushed into a war. There are times when
a nation must ingest the poison of violence to survive. But this
violence always deforms and maims those who use it. My uncle, who
drank himself to death in a trailer in Maine, fought for four years in
the South Pacific during World War II. He and the soldiers in his unit
never bothered taking Japanese prisoners.

The detritus of war, the old cannons and artillery pieces rolled out
to stand near memorials, were curious and alluring objects in my
childhood. But these displays angered my father, a Presbyterian
minister who was in North Africa as an Army sergeant during World War
II. The lifeless, clean and neat displays of weapons and puppets in
uniforms were being used, he said, to purge the reality of war. These
memorials sanctified violence. They turned the instruments of violence—
the tanks, machine guns, rifles and airplanes—into an aesthetic of
death.

These memorials, while they pay homage to those who made “the ultimate
sacrifice,” dignify slaughter. They perpetuate the old lie of honor
and glory. They set the ground for the next inferno. The myth of war
manufactures a collective memory that ennobles the next war. The
intimate, personal experience of violence turns those who return from
war into internal exiles. They cannot compete against the power of the
myth. This collective memory saturates the culture, but it is “a tale
told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.”

Copyright © 2009 Truthdig, L.L.C.
Chris Hedges writes a regular column for Truthdig.com. Hedges
graduated from Harvard Divinity School and was for nearly two decades
a foreign correspondent for The New York Times. He is the author of
many books, including: War Is A Force That Gives Us Meaning, What
Every Person Should Know About War, and American Fascists: The
Christian Right and the War on America.  His most recent book is
Empire of Illusion: The End of Literacy and the Triumph of Spectacle.