[Peace-discuss] urging the President not to send more troops to Afghanistan

Ricky Baldwin baldwinricky at yahoo.com
Wed Oct 7 09:03:02 CDT 2009

I modified my letter slightly from the form letter provided- OK, well, a lot.  You can write what you like ...  See below for the link.

Ricky

"Speak your mind even if your voice shakes." - Maggie Kuhn

>From Just Foreign Policy...

It was not too long ago that serious public debate over U.S. policy in Afghanistan was non-existent. Now, President Obama is publicly deliberating whether to send more U.S. troops to Afghanistan, or to finally rethink policy. Some of the President's advisers - including Vice-President Biden - have called for reducing U.S. troops; some have proposed redirecting U.S. efforts toward persuading the Taliban to stop fighting.

But the Pentagon is publicly pressuring President Obama to approve more U.S. troops, trying to "push Obama into a corner" with public statements that the situation in Afghanistan needs more forces.

This moment could prove to be a real turning point in U.S. policy in Afghanistan; but as the Pentagon and the hawks try to push the President in their direction, we must pull him in ours. Urge President Obama not to approve more U.S. troops for Afghanistan by writing to him here:

http://www.justforeignpolicy.org/act/nomoretroops

Thanks!