[Peace-discuss] Re: [Peace] Vigil tonight for Kiwane Carrington

Ricky Baldwin baldwinricky at yahoo.com
Thu Oct 15 11:20:00 CDT 2009

That was quite an event last night.  My kids even went willingly, once we explained what it was for.  Anybody care to give us a report, for folks who had to leave or couldn't attend?

Here's the News-Gazette - http://www.news-gazette.com/news/local/2009/10/15/mourners_pay_respects_to_shooting_victim_in_the_rain   - - - but I don't think we agree that this death was " a result of" the call.  It was a result of a decision by an officer.  Let's evaluate it that way.

By the way, for those who may not remember local efforts for police review boards and such, it's particularly interesting that the shooter here is a familiar name - from the killing in police custody of Gregory Brown, one of the incidents that sparked the review board campaign back when.  Since then Champaign City Council has established at least 2 commissions to study the question of a review board, both of which recommended YES, and even the News-Gazette recently gave its lukewarm approval...

Champaign City Council Tuesday?

Ricky

"Speak your mind even if your voice shakes." - Maggie Kuhn