[Peace-discuss] We're told we're killing & dying for these people

C. G. Estabrook galliher at illinois.edu
Wed Oct 21 12:13:00 CDT 2009

AFGHAN FEMINIST MALALAI JOYA U.S. SPEAKING TOUR 10/23-11/7

First, a reminder that it’s not too late to sign on to the CPD statement “We
Call for the United States to End Its Wars in Afghanistan and Pakistan!” You can
add your name and donate to help publicize the statement at
http://www.cpdweb.org/stmts/1014/stmt.shtml   And be sure to check out our
two-page ad in the issue of The Nation coming out at the end of this week.

We are writing now to invite you to hear Afghan feminist Malalai Joya, who will
be on a speaking tour across the United States from October 23 through November
7. She will speak in

     * New York City (5 events)
     * Providence, RI
     * Cambridge, MA
     * Washington, DC (2 events)
     * California--Beverly Hills, Irvine, Pasadena, Los Angeles, San Jose and
Berkeley (2 events)
     * Washington state – Seattle and Bellingham

For tour details, see

http://www.afghanwomensmission.org/cgi-bin/cal/calendar.pl?month=11&calendar=&month=10

In New York City, The Nation Institute, Iraq Veterans Against the War, Code
Pink, The Campaign for Peace and Democracy, Mark Kurlansky, author of
Non-Violence: The History of a Dangerous Idea, and veteran war correspondent
Chris Hedges, author of War is a Force That Gives Us Meaning, invite you to an
evening of mobilization against the war in Afghanistan on Wednesday, October 28.

The meeting will be held at the Quaker Meeting House in New York City at 15
Rutherford Place at 7 PM.  (between 15th and 16th Streets, and between 2nd and
3rd Avenues) in Manhattan.

Malalai Joya, the outspoken female politician and member of the Afghan
parliament, will discuss the reality of the war and its consequences for the
Afghan people. In addition, as well as American combat veterans of the war will
talk about the effects on U.S. troops.

At a time when military commanders concede that the U.S. is rapidly losing
ground to the Taliban insurgents, it is vital that we recognize the consequences
of the war and the dangerous direction it could take if we permit further
military escalation.

The event is free and open to the public. Copies of A Woman Among Warlords will
be on sale at this and other tour events.

In peace and solidarity,

Joanne                     Tom

Joanne Landy         Thomas Harrison

Co-Directors, Campaign for Peace and Democracy

www.cpdweb.org      cpd at igc.org

	ABOUT MALALAI JOYA, AUTHOR OF A WOMAN AMONG WARLORDS:
	THE EXTRAORDINARY STORY OF AN AFGHAN WOMAN WHO DARED TO SPEAK OUT

Malalai Joya, the young woman who the BBC has hailed as the “bravest in
Afghanistan” has published her memoirs, A Woman Among Warlords: The
Extraordinary Story of an Afghan Woman Who Dared to Speak Out, co-written with
Canadian activist and writer Derrick O’Keefe. You can purchase the book at your
local independent bookstore, or online now at amazon.com

Joya, now 31, was the youngest ever woman elected to the Afghan Parliament in
2005 and is an outspoken critic of the Karzai government and NATO occupation.

With U.S. President Obama considering escalating the war in Afghanistan with 40,
000 or more additional troops -- and the Canadian government signaling that
Canada’s forces will in fact not be coming home at the end of 2010, Joya’s
speaking tour and book release are timely.

“Afghan women like me, voting and running for office, have been held up as proof
that the United States has brought democracy and women’ rights to Afghanistan,”
Joya writes. “But it is all a lie.” Her book tells the story of her life in the
context of three decades of war. Joya details her reasons for opposing NATO's
war and suggests concrete steps for building an independent and genuinely
democratic Afghanistan.

Malalai Joya, often compared to Burma’s Aung San Suu Kyi, has emerged as a
symbol of Afghans’ desire for freedom from corruption, warlordism and foreign
occupation. Her father, who lost a leg fighting the Soviet occupation of
Afghanistan, named her after a 19th century hero in the fight against the
British Empire, Malalai of Maiwand.

Today, Joya brings to a North American audience the lessons of Afghanistan’s
long history of occupation and resistance. And she hopes her book will correct
the tremendous amount of misinformation being spread about Afghanistan.

“Afghans are sometimes represented in the media as a backward people, nothing
more than terrorists, criminals and henchmen. This false image is extremely
dangerous for the future of both my country and the West," says Joya. "The truth
is that Afghans are brave and freedom loving people with a rich culture and a
proud history. We are capable of defending our independence, governing ourselves
and determining our own future.”

Campaign for Peace and Democracy
2790 Broadway, #12
New York, New York 10025