[Peace-discuss] Re: [Discuss] Schwieghart's quote to WDWS

C. G. Estabrook galliher at illinois.edu
Wed Oct 21 19:43:09 CDT 2009

Finney clearly needs to go, and the out-of-control Champaign police need to be
brought to order.

It's outrageous that the Carrington killing is being investigated by other local
police.  James Madison wrote in Federalist #10, "No man is allowed to be a judge
in his own cause, because his interest would certainly bias his judgment, and,
not improbably, corrupt his integrity. With equal, nay with greater reason, a
body of men are unfit to be both judges and parties at the same time."

The local procedure is as un-American as can be.  A long train of abuses makes
it clear that it is the responsibility of the Champaign City Council to take the
police in hand, dismiss Finney and Norbits, and reform those who granted the
right to deploy lethal force in defense of the community.

The abuse of that grant must be corrected.  Council members who refuse to do so
should not be returned to office.  --CGE