[Peace-discuss] [Fwd: FW: General Treachery]

E. Wayne Johnson ewj at pigs.ag
Thu Oct 22 08:28:59 CDT 2009

Subject: 	FW: General Treachery
Date: 	Thu, 22 Oct 2009 05:55:47 -0500
From: 	Sandie C <sandiec99 at hotmail.com>
To: 	Shelli Dawdy <stubbornfacts1776 at gmail.com>

From: aacoddington at earthlink.netTo: ladyaxiom at yahoo.com;
markowsley at compuserve.com; mstar at charter.net; sandiec99 at hotmail.com

CC: toby.coddington at us.army.mil
Subject: General Treachery
Date: Thu, 22 Oct 2009 06:27:25 -0400

General Treachery

by Jeff Huber <http://original.antiwar.com/author/huber/>, October 22, 2009

<http://original.antiwar.com/huber/2009/10/21/general-treachery/emailpopup/>
<http://antiwar-talk.com>
The long war generals are still trying to shoehorn President Obama into
going along with their agenda, and they’re not being a bit subtle about it.

Gen. Ray Odierno, U.S. commander in Iraq, says he may not be able to
meet President Barack Obama’s promise to withdraw troops from that
country. In an Oct. 20 article from right-wing media maven Rupert
Murdoch’s /Times/ of London
<http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/world/iraq/article6881581.ece>,
Odierno notes that things aren’t going so well in Iraq: increased
violence levels, bickering in parliament, a "bloody campaign" brewing in
the months ahead from al-Qaeda and other militant groups, a possible
postponement of elections, Anbar province getting out of control again.
Tut, tut.  It sounds like the surge wasn’t so successful after all.

Odierno, who is part of the long war
<http://www.thenation.com/doc/20091102/hayden> cabal that includes
Central Command chief Gen. David Petraeus and Joint Chiefs chairman Adm.
Mike Mullen, is on record
<http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/02/13/AR2009021301648_pf.html>
as wanting to keep 30,000 or more troops in Iraq until 2014 or 2015.

Elsewhere we have Gen. Stanley McChrystal, another long warrior
<http://www.nytimes.com/2009/10/18/magazine/18Afghanistan-t.html>,
attempting to get 40,000 or more troops into Afghanistan for a
nation-birthing campaign that could last 20 years or more.

Professor Andrew Bacevich
<http://www.dailykos.com/storyonly/2009/10/21/795433/-Night-Owls,-Early-Birds-and-Expats-Open-Thread>,
a retired Army officer, notes in the November issue of /Harper//’s/ that
Odierno thinks the insurgency in Iraq may drag on for another five, ten,
or fifteen years.  "Events may well show that Odierno is an optimist,"
Bacevich writes.

Violence may be down, Bacevich notes, "but evidence of the promised
political reconciliation that the surge was intended to produce remains
elusive. America’s Mesopotamian misadventure continues."

Bacevich says Iraq is "bizarrely trumpeted in some quarters as a
’success’ and even more bizarrely seen as offering a template for how to
turn Afghanistan around."

That trumpeting has been the result of propaganda operations on the part
of the Pentagon and its military-industrial allies.  The military’s
ability to manipulate the media is firmly established at this point.
The right-wing press and broadcast outlets have always been military
friendly, but now the mainstream media has become little more than a
steno pool that repeats military public affairs press releases verbatim.

Bacevich, fortunately, is as brutally honest about Afghanistan as he is
about Iraq.  He calls Afghanistan "The war we can’t win," and says,
"Fixing Afghanistan is not only unnecessary, it’s also likely to prove
impossible. Not for nothing has the place acquired the nickname
Graveyard of Empires."  Lamentably, voices like Bacevich’s are hard to
come by.  (Even sorrier is that his /Harper’s/ article is behind a
subscription firewall.)

Much of what we see in the media these days deifies our generals.
Thomas E. Ricks is notorious for his hagiographies of Odierno and
Petraeus.  The recent hoopla over Stanley McChrystal has been
disgraceful, most notably the /60 Minutes/ puff piece and an October 18
/New York Times Magazine/ profile by Dexter Filkins. As Yale professor
of literature David Bromwich
<http://www.huffingtonpost.com/david-bromwich/war-fever-at-the-emtimese_b_327159.html>
notes, the /Times/ seems to have gone gaga over McChrystal and his
campaign to pile drive the president into going puppy dog for his
general’s wishes.  "The conclusion draws itself," Bromwich says. "The/
New York Times/ wants a large escalation in Afghanistan."

The most frightening moment in the Filkins article comes at the end,
where McChrystal promises an Afghan governor, "We’ll stay as long as we
have to until our Afghan partners are completely secure, even if that
means years." Defense Secretary Robert Gates and Adm. Mullen have made
similar remarks for the record.

Who are they to be making promises like that?

Our "partners" Iraq and Afghanistan are crooks and liars.  Odierno
admits that Iraq’s parliament is a zoo and we’ve seen over the past few
months what a hobo Afghanistan’s Hamid Karzai is. Even Gates admits the
corruption in Afghanistan will continue
<http://www.voanews.com/english/2009-10-21-voa4.cfm> regardless of the
election results.

Yet the information blitz continues.  Bad Taliban. Everyone in the
military is mad at Obama.  We were on the verge of winning in Vietnam
when the bad news media and Congress pulled the rug out from under us,
don’t do it again. Must.  Stay.  Course.

We’re witnessing an open revolt by our top military officers against a
sitting president and the citizens who elected him.  Our press, the
fourth pillar of our democracy that is supposed to guard against such
treachery, is aiding it.  We’ve seen this sort of thing happen before,
not very long ago, when the /New York Times/ helped Dick Cheney sell us
the invasion of Iraq by publishing its story on the Nigergate hoax
<http://www.nytimes.com/2002/09/08/world/threats-responses-iraqis-us-says-hussein-intensifies-quest-for-bomb-parts.html>
that cited anonymous "officials" more than 20 times.

In a /Voice of America/
<http://www.voanews.com/english/2009-10-20-voa13.cfm> article published
the same day (Oct. 20) that Odierno said he may not be able to withdraw
troops on schedule, Obama assured Iraq’s Prime Minister Nuri al-Maliki
that we /will/ withdraw our troops on schedule.  Al-Maliki prances back
and forth like a dancer in search of a friendly lap — he wants us out of
his country one minute but he’s willing to renegotiate
<http://www.voanews.com/english/2009-10-20-voa13.cfm> the Status of
Forces Agreement the next.

Who’s going to win this battle?
aacoddington at earthlink.net <mailto:aacoddington at earthlink.net>