[Peace-discuss] Police policy on lethal force

LAURIE SOLOMON LAURIE at ADVANCENET.NET
Thu Oct 22 19:32:53 CDT 2009

>It sounds as though there should be something in writing about
>what are appropriate conditions for making an arrest, and for that matter,
>for stopping people in general.

There probably are in both the administrative departmental polices as well
as in state and federal statutes and administrative policies, rules and
regulations; but they are written in such general vague and ambiguous terms
and fashion as to allow all kinds of interpretation.  Any limitations,
restrictions, or criteria are neither that detailed not that precise.  Laws
are typically general and abstract and not usually specific, detailed or
precise.  Moreover, benefit of the doubt is always on the state's side which
means the police's advantage when it comes to interpreting and applying the
laws to concrete situations.  As for the circular nature of using resisting
arrest as a basis for making an arrest even if the defendant is not charged
with another offense or that charge is dropped it is the way the law works
since it treats resisting arrest as a crime separate and independent of any
other crime so they are not legally related. To change things, one would
have to change the laws to read that a charge of resisting arrest cannot be
made or pursued if other charges are dropped or not pressed; and if other
charges are dropped, the arresting officer is and/or police department is
open to false arrest law suits.  This would hold officers responsible for
their charges and put suspected offenders in jeopardy of having to go to
court to fight charges that might otherwise have been droipped.