[Peace-discuss] Matthew Hoh's resignation & USG goals in AfPak

C. G. Estabrook galliher at illinois.edu
Tue Oct 27 16:27:05 CDT 2009

"Matthew Hoh, a former Marine officer, resigned from his current State
Department post in Afghanistan, saying he no longer believes the war is worth
American lives." [CSM]

Hoh's letter of resignation is below.  He explains that he doesn't understand or
trust "the strategic purposes of the United States’ presence in Afghanistan."
His objections are not to "how we are pursuing this war, but why."  But he
doesn't suggest why.

He knows that "our stated strategy of securing Afghanistan to prevent al-Qaeda
resurgence" is false, but he fails to see that it's a necessary propaganda cover
for the real geopolitical reasons that the US has for dominating the region. (He
does recognize that the propaganda cover "would require us to additionally
invade and occupy western Pakistan, Somalia, Sudan, Yemen, etc." -- as we are
doing, because the real reason requires that, too.)

For those real goals, the chosen means are appropriate -- vicious, but
appropriate.  And American planners understand what they're doing.  They should
not so much be better informed as opposed.  --CGE

================
September 10, 2009

Ambassador Nancy J. Powell
Director General of the Foreign Service and Director of Human Resources
U.S. Department of State
2201 C Street NW
Washington, D.C. 20520

Dear Ambassador Powell,

It is with great regret and disappointment I submit my resignation from my
appointment as a Political Officer in the Foreign Service and my post as the
Senior Civilian Representative for the U.S. Government in Zabul Province. I have
served six of the previous ten years in service to our country overseas, to
include deployment as a U.S. Marine ofticer and Department of Defense civilian
in the Euphrates and Tigris River Valleys of Iraq in 2004-2005 and 2006-2007. I
did not enter into this position lightly or with any undue expectations nor did
I believe my assignment would be without sacrifice hardship or difficulty.
However, in the course of my five months of service in Afghanistan, in both
Regional Commands East and South, I have lost understanding of and confidence in
the strategic purposes of the United States’ presence in Afghanistan. I have
doubts and reservations about our current strategy and planned future strategy,
but my resignation is based not upon how we are pursuing this war, but why and
to what end. To put simply: I fail to see the value or the worth in continued
U.S. casualties or expenditures or resources in support of the Afghan government
in what is, truly, a 35-year old civil war.

This fall will mark the eighth year of U.S. combat, governance and development
operations within Afghanistan. Next fall, the United States’ occupation will
equal in length the Soviet Union’s own physical involvement in Afghanistan. Like
the Soviets, we continue to secure and bolster a failing state, while
encouraging an ideology and system of government unknown and unwanted by its people.

If the history or Afghanistan is one great stage play, the United States is no
more than a supporting actor, among several previously, in a tragedy that not
only pits tribes, valleys, clans, villages and families against one another,
but, from at least the end of King Zahir Shah’s reign, has violently and
savagely pitted the urban, secular, educated and modem of Afghanistan against
the rural, religious, illiterate and traditional. It is this latter group that
composes and supports the Pashtun insurgency. The Pashtun insurgency, which is
composed of multiple, seemingly infinite, local groups, is fed by what is
perceived by the Pashtun people as a continued and sustained assault, going back
centuries, on Pashtun land, culture, traditions and religion by internal and
external enemies. The U.S. and NATO presence and operations in Pashtun valleys
and villages, as well as Afghan army and police units that are led and composed
of non-Pashtun soldiers and police, provide an occupation force against which
the insurgency is justified. In both RC East and South, I have observed that the
bulk of the insurgency fights not for the white banner of the Taliban, but
rather against the presence of foreign soldiers and taxes imposed by an
unrepresentative government in Kabul.

The United States military presence in Afghanistan greatly contributes to the
legitimacy and strategic message of the Pashtun insurgency. In a like manner our
backing of the Afghan government in its current form continues to distance the
government from the people. The Afghan government’s failings, particularly when
weighed against the sacrifice of American lives and dollars, appear legion and
metastatic:

• Glaring corruption and unabashed graft;
• A President whose confidants and chief advisers comprise drug lords and war
crimes villains, who mock our own rule of law and counternarcotics efforts;
• A system of provincial and district leaders constituted of local power
brokers, opportunists and strongmen allied to the United States solely for, and
limited by, the value of our USAID and CERP contracts and whose own political
and economic interests stand nothing to gain from any positive or genuine
attempts at reconciliation; and
• The recent election process dominated by fraud and discredited by low voter
turnout, which has created an enormous victory for our enemy who now claims a
popular boycott and will call into question worldwide our government’s military,
economic and diplomatic support for an invalid and illegitimate Afghan government.

Our support for this kind of government, coupled with a misunderstanding of the
insurgency’s true nature, reminds me horribly of our involvement with South
Vietnam; an unpopular and corrupt government we backed at the expense of our
Nation’s own internal peace, against an insurgency whose nationalism we
arrogantly and ignorantly mistook as a rival to our own Cold War ideology.

I find specious the reasons we ask for bloodshed and sacrifice from our young
men and women in Afghanistan. If honest, our stated strategy of securing
Afghanistan to prevent al-Qaeda resurgence or regrouping would require us to
additionally invade and occupy western Pakistan, Somalia, Sudan, Yemen, etc. Our
presence in Afghanistan has only increased destabilization and insurgency in
Pakistan where we rightly fear a toppled or weakened Pakistani government may
lose control of nuclear weapons. However, again, to follow the logic of our
stated goals we should garrison Pakistan, not Afghanistan. More so, the
September 11th attacks, as well as the Madrid and London bombings, were
primarily planned and organized in Western Europe; a point that highlights the
threat is not one tied to traditional geographic or political boundaries.
Finally, if our concern is for a failed state crippled by corruption and poverty
and under assault from criminal and drug lords, then if we bear our military and
financial contributions to Afghanistan, we must reevaluate our commitment to and
involvement in Mexico.

Eight years into war, no nation has ever known a more dedicated, well trained,
experienced and disciplined military as the U.S. Armed Forces. I do not believe
any military force has ever been tasked with such a complex, opaque and
Sisyphean mission as the U.S. military has received in Afghanistan. The tactical
proficiency and performance of our Soldiers, Sailors, Airmen and Marines is
unmatched and unquestioned. However, this is not the European or Pacific
theaters of World War II, but rather is a war war for which our leaders,
uniformed, civilian and elected, have inadequately prepared and resourced our
men and women. Our forces, devoted and faithful, have committed to conflict in
an indefinite and unplanned manner that has become a cavalier, politically
expedient and Pollyannaish misadventure. Similarly, the United States has a
dedicated and talented cadre of civilians, both U.S. government employees and
contractors, who believe in and sacrifice for their mission, but have been
ineffectually trained and led with guidance and intent shaped more by the
political climate in Washington, D.C. than in Afghan cities, villages, mountains
and valleys.

“We are spending ourselves into oblivion” a very talented and intelligent
commander, one of America’s best, briefs every visitor, staff delegation and
senior officer. We are mortgaging our Nation’s economy on a war, which, even
with increased commitment, will remain a draw for years to come. Success and
victory, whatever they may be, will be realized not in years, after billions
more spent, but in decades and generations. The United States does not enjoy a
national treasury for such success and victory.

I realize the emotion and tone of my letter and ask you excuse any ill temper. I
trust you understand the nature of this war and the sacrifices made by so many
thousands of families who have been separated from loved ones deployed in
defense of our Nation and whose homes bear the fractures, upheavals and scars of
multiple and compounded deployments. Thousands of our men and women have
returned home with physical and mental wounds, some that will never heal or will
only worsen with time. The dead return only in bodily form to be received by
families who must be reassured their dead have sacrificed for a purpose worthy
of futures lost, love vanished, and promised dreams unkept. I have lost
confidence such assurances can anymore be made. As such, l submit my resignation.

Sincerely,

/s/ Matthew P. Hoh
Senior Civilian Representative
Zabul Province, Afghanistan