[Peace-discuss] Fw: Will the House protect your privacy?

unionyes unionyes at ameritech.net
Tue Oct 27 17:58:36 CDT 2009

----- Original Message -----
From: "Michelle Richardson, ACLU" <aclu at aclu.org>
To: <unionyes at ameritech.net>
Sent: Tuesday, October 27, 2009 5:05 PM
Subject: Will the House protect your privacy?

Dear ACLU Supporter,

We've got another big chance to end Patriot Act abuses--but
we have to act fast.

The Senate Judiciary Committee had the opportunity to pass legislation
to rein in a bill that has become a symbol of out-of-control
government invasions of your privacy.  They failed--approving a
bill that does little to curtail the sweeping powers embedded in the
Patriot Act.

That's why we must do everything we can to ensure that the House
of Representatives passes a stronger bill--one that can lead to
genuine reform of the deeply-flawed Patriot Act.

Act right now. Ask your representative to co-sponsor the USA Patriot
Amendments Act of 2009.
http://action.aclu.org/site/R?i=wRG09e9rJO1jIcF-IyWseA..

Three Patriot Act provisions are set to expire on December 31, 2009.
We have to seize this chance to demand that Congress put an end to the
government's unchecked spying powers and ensure that innocent
Americans' private information will remain just
that--private.

The USA Patriot Amendments Act of 2009 protects constitutional speech
and privacy rights by:

*  Amending  the national security letter statute to ensure that
the government obtains financial, communication and credit
records only of people believed to be terrorists or spies;
*  Requiring the government to convince a court that a national
security gag order is necessary;
*  Terminating the "lone wolf" authority that permits
the government to spy on people who are not part of a terrorist
organization; and
*  Ensuring that the so-called "library records
provision" does not authorize collection of library and
bookstore records if they contain information on the patron.

As you can imagine, the bill is not perfect. It leaves the Patriot
Act's so-called "material support" provision intact,
permitting prosecution of those who work with or for charities that
give humanitarian aid in good faith to war-torn countries.
We're asking Members of Congress to add a provision that would
limit prosecution to those who actually intend to support
terrorist-oriented actions.

Please ask your representative to co-sponsor the USA Patriot
Amendments Act of 2009.
http://action.aclu.org/site/R?i=eT8EnpHSfmdusAI9KnF2kg..

As an ACLU lobbyist, I've worked to end the dangerous ways that
the Patriot Act curtails your freedom for more than six years. I can
say first-hand how much your emails matter if we are to pass genuine
Patriot Act reforms.

Thanks so much for taking action today.

Sincerely,

Michelle Richardson
Legislative Counsel
American Civil Liberties Union

Donate Now:
http://action.aclu.org/site/R?i=7nu7EGVz500tHTKl8LwDqw..

Send to a Friend:
http://action.aclu.org/site/R?i=P7xJMwLZsmSLuM7SOx8kqg..

© ACLU, 125 Broad Street, 18th Floor, New York, NY 10004

To unsubscribe from all future email, paste the following URL into your
browser:
http://action.aclu.org/site/CO?i=G72VnPWq7b5ruVQ6UJP21XUluSLGJAQd&cid=0