[Peace-discuss] Fw: We Can Still Stop Military Escalation in Afghanistan

Jenifer Cartwright jencart13 at yahoo.com
Fri Oct 30 17:28:41 CDT 2009

Weekend is here, so I sent off three emails, a snap to do after clicking on link below -- it finds yr reps and sens based on yr zip code. Slick, huh?
Hope y'all decide to do likewise. Hard to choose the topic -- nobody put US Agression and Occupation on their drop down menu... so I settled on "Other" (Johnson), "War" (Durbin), and "Foreign Affairs" (Burris).
 --Jenifer

--- On Fri, 10/30/09, Just Foreign Policy <info at justforeignpolicy.org> wrote:

Dear Jenifer,

Despite some speculation you may have seen from pundits on TV, the Obama Administration has not yet announced any decision on General McChrystal's request for 40,000 more U.S. troops to be sent in support of military escalation in Afghanistan. Press reports suggest that any announcement may be postponed until after the scheduled election in Afghanistan on November 7. That means we still have time to influence the President's decision by calling Members of Congress and urging them to speak out.

New developments continue to provoke questions about McChrystal's strategy -- including the recent resignation of Matthew Hoh, a top Foreign Service officer in Afghanistan, in protest of the war. [1]

Hoh has stated that he is speaking out now because he wants Americans to call Congress and tell them the war is wrong. [2] Would you call Congress today? Friday is often a good day to reach Congressional staff.

Ask where your representatives in Congress stand on military escalation in Afghanistan and report the result:

http://noescalation.org

If you can't call Congress, you can still take action. Send an email to your Representative and Senators asking them to speak out against military escalation in Afghanistan before the President announces his decision.

http://www.justforeignpolicy.org/act/noescalation-congress

Thank you for all you do to help bring about a just foreign policy.

Robert Naiman, Sarah Burns, Chelsea Mozen and Megan Iorio
Just Foreign Policy

Please support our work.
We need your financial support to continue creating opportunities for Americans to advocate for a just foreign policy.
http://www.justforeignpolicy.org/donate.html