[Peace-discuss] AWARE

Matt Reichel mattreichel at hotmail.com
Tue Sep 1 09:36:22 CDT 2009

Jenifer -

It appears that this list has descended into absolute silliness ie juvenile intellectual masturbation from the 3-4 primary posters.

AWARE was initially founded as an answer to the PRC, which used to dominate progressive politics in Champaign-Urbana with its authoritarian, overly-bureaucratic organizing style. On the student end of things, I founded Student Peace Action for those students who had too much self-respect to sit through a PRC meeting. For a few years there, this model of having three organizations, one for students, one for community members and one for people who were able to withstand PRC's inane bureaucracy, was incredibly effective: on the day the war in Iraq began, we had over 1,000 people marching through the streets of Chambana.

It looks as if most of the original organizers of AWARE are long gone, and the group has become the wrong it originally sought to correct, i.e. a top-down group dominated by a few unpleasant personalities.

Best,
Matt