[Peace-discuss] Obama stares down his party...

C. G. Estabrook galliher at illinois.edu
Wed Sep 2 21:45:59 CDT 2009

[Doug Henwood comments at
<http://doughenwood.wordpress.com/2009/09/02/ciao-public-option/.>]

Ciao, public option

So it’s looking like Obama’s not only dropping the public option, he may be
using the rejection as a way of distancing himself from the “left.” As Politico
reports:

     "On health care, Obama’s willingness to forgo the public option is sure to
anger his party’s liberal base. But some administration officials welcome a
showdown with liberal lawmakers if they argue they would rather have no health
care law than an incremental one. The confrontation would allow Obama to show he
is willing to stare down his own party to get things done."

It’s all about “choice and competition,” you see. Forget about the experience of
all those funny foreign countries!

PS: When’s the last time a Republican “stare[d] down his own party to get things
done”?