[Peace-discuss] State Department Terminates Aid to Honduras Coup Regime

C. G. Estabrook galliher at illinois.edu
Thu Sep 3 17:48:36 CDT 2009

[This meeting is reminiscent of he-Clinton's meeting with President Aristide
before restoring him in Haiti.  Do you suppose that she-Clinton has also made
sure that the grateful president has promised to be a good boy and do what he's
told?  --CGE]

	September 03 2009
	Clinton terminates aid to Honduras after meeting with Zelaya

After Secretary of State Hillary Clinton met with Honduras' ousted President
Manuel Zelaya today, the State Department announced that Clinton has decided to
terminate U.S. assistance to Honduras. Clinton had previously suspended U.S.
assistance to the Central American state in the wake of the June 28 coup.

Negotiations led by Costan Rican President Oscar Arias under the auspices of the
Organization of American States broke down last month, after Honduras' de facto
leader Roberto Michelleti rejected efforts to allow Zelaya to return to power
before Honduras' November elections.

The State Department further said that it was in the process of revoking the
visas of identified members and supporters of Michelleti's de facto regime.

"Restoration of the terminated assistance will be predicated upon a return to
democratic, constitutional governance in Honduras," the State Department said.

At stake for Honduras, approximately $18 million in U.S. assistance, reports
estimate.

Source:FP