[Peace-discuss] AWARE

C. G. Estabrook galliher at illinois.edu
Thu Sep 3 18:59:17 CDT 2009

"...clever people like me who talk loudly in restaurants see this as a
deliberate ambiguity, a plea for understanding in a mechanised mansion. The
points are frozen, the beast is dead. What is the difference? What indeed is the
point? The point is frozen, the beast is late out of Paddington. The point is
taken. If La Fontaine's elk would spurn Tom Jones the engine must be our head,
the dining car our oesophagus, the guards van our left lung, the cattle truck
our shins, the first class compartment the piece of skin at the nape of the neck
and the level crossing an electric elk called Simon. The clarity is devastating.
But where is the ambiguity? Over there in a box. Shunt is saying the 8.15 from
Gillingham when in reality he means the 8.13 from Gillingham. The train is the
same, only the time is altered. Ecce homo, ergo elk. La Fontaine knew its sister
and knew her bloody well. The point is taken, the beast is moulting, the fluff
gets up your nose. The illusion is complete; it is reality, the reality is
illusion and the ambiguity is the only truth. But is the truth, as Hitchcock
observes, in the box? No, there isn't room, the ambiguity has put on weight. The
point is taken, the elk is dead, the beast stops at Swindon, Chabrol stops at
nothing, I'm having treatment and La Fontaine can get knotted."