[Peace-discuss] AWARE

C. G. Estabrook galliher at illinois.edu
Fri Sep 4 08:13:45 CDT 2009

Oh, come on, Stuart.  "Wading through this stuff" is a rather distant metaphor.
Every message comes with the name of the author and some indication of subject.
  Push a button and delete the ones you don't want to read.

We should err on the side of too much speech, not too little.  There's often
something sinister about calls for people to shut up -- on the air, in print, on
the net, in universities, or in the public square.

Such calls often seem to me like enforcements of the control Orwell talks about
in the (suppressed) preface to "Animal Farm," that if you have been properly
educated, you simply have instilled into you the understanding that there are
certain things "it wouldn't do to say"...  --CGE