[Peace-discuss] State Department Terminates Aid to Honduras Coup Regime

C. G. Estabrook galliher at illinois.edu
Fri Sep 4 08:38:50 CDT 2009

[I believe I posted the full article earlier, so I risk "overstuffing
mailboxes"...  --CGE]

	Season of Travesties: Freedom and Democracy in mid-2009
	Noam Chomsky
	July 9, 2009

...The Western hemisphere also witnessed an election-related crime at the
month's end. A military coup in Honduras ousted President Manuel Zelaya and
expelled him to Costa Rica. As observed by economist Mark Weisbrot, an
experienced analyst of Latin American affairs, the social structure of the coup
is "a recurrent story in Latin America," pitting "a reform president who is
supported by labor unions and social organizations against a mafia-like,
drug-ridden, corrupt political elite who is accustomed to choosing not only the
Supreme Court and the Congress, but also the president."

Mainstream commentary described the coup as an unfortunate return to the bad
days of decades ago. But that is mistaken. This is the third military coup in
the past decade, all conforming to the "recurrent story." The first, in
Venezuela in 2002, was supported by the Bush administration, which, however,
backed down after sharp Latin American condemnation and restoration of the
elected government by a popular uprising. The second, in Haiti in 2004, was
carried out by Haiti's traditional torturers, France and the US. The elected
President, Jean-Bertrand Aristide, was spirited to Central Africa and kept at a
safe distance from Haiti by the master of the hemisphere.

What is novel in the Honduras coup is that the US has not lent it support.
Rather, the US joined with the Organization of American States in opposing the
coup, though with a more reserved condemnation than others, and without any
action, unlike the neighboring states and much of the rest of Latin America.
Alone in the region, the US has not withdrawn its ambassador, as did France,
Spain and Italy along with Latin American states.

It was reported that Washington had advance information about a possible coup,
and tried to prevent it. It surpasses imagination that Washington did not have
close knowledge of what was underway in Honduras, which is highly dependent on
US aid, and whose military is armed, trained, and advised by Washington.
Military relations have been particularly close since the 1980s, when Honduras
was the base for Reagan's terrorist war against Nicaragua.

Whether this will play out as another chapter of the "recurrent story" remains
to be seen, and will depend in no small measure on reactions within the United
States.

http://www.zcommunications.org/zspace/commentaries/3922