[Peace-discuss] AWARE

John Fettig john.fettig at gmail.com
Sat Sep 5 13:26:29 CDT 2009

On Sat, Sep 5, 2009 at 1:03 PM, <jgeo61 at comcast.net> wrote:

> I want to know why you folks need an audience of 165 plus readers to host
> your own conversations?  For the record, 30 plus msgs. per day are too many
> for many of us to listen to.  No, I will not take my toys and go home; I
> want a solution to this issue.

As a casual observer, I'd like to add my $0.02.

1)  30 messages a day is nothing, especially when the majority of the
messages come from 3-4 people.  Tired of reading stuff posted by X?  Don't
read it, get a better email client, or learn to use the one you've got and
filter the messages.  Pretty simple.

2)  The idea of banning people from this list for the offense of "posting
too much" is ridiculous.  Likewise for posting dissenting ideas.  Start
doing this and you'll really initiate an exodus.

3)  The biggest problem with this list in my opinion is that for a "discuss"
list, there isn't a whole lot of discussion happening.  There have been some
interesting discussions, and it'd be nice if there were more.  But for the
most part it is a collection of news/opinion pieces with little discussion.

4) Plenty of online forums are no better than an echo chamber.  I don't
think that the peace-discuss list is one of those places, and it should stay
that way.

5)  If the effectiveness of organizing local events is being reduced because
of 3) then maybe peace-action should be resurrected.  My opinion is that
this is unnecessary, but I can understand if some people do find it so.

John