[Peace-discuss] Fw: Last chance before Congress returns

Jenifer Cartwright jencart13 at yahoo.com
Sat Sep 5 14:26:14 CDT 2009

--- On Sat, 9/5/09, Charles Chamberlain, Democracy for America <info at democracyforamerica.com> wrote:

From: Charles Chamberlain, Democracy for America <info at democracyforamerica.com>
Subject: Last chance before Congress returns
To: jencart13 at yahoo.com
Date: Saturday, September 5, 2009, 11:00 AM

#yiv518167257 {
font-family:Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;font-size:10pt;background-color:#fff;margin:5px;}

Jenifer -

This week, we kicked off September reminding Congress that passing the choice of a public health insurance option is about people -- not politics.

Organized by our partners at MoveOn, DFA members joined in holding over 350 "Can't Afford To Wait" vigils nationwide. Local papers covered many of the events whether there were 15 people attending or several hundred. And members of Congress were reminded that real people have real stories and are depending on them to pass real reform.

Take a look below at some of the great photos taken from the events, but vigils are just the start. Congress returns to D.C. next week and they need to know where you stand. The 64 Democrats who have stood up to draw a line in the sand need to know we have their backs. They need to know that no matter what happens we're depending on them to not back down.

Over 60,000 Americans have signed on to thank the House Healthcare Heroes for committing to not vote for a bill if it doesn't include a public option. We will deliver all the signatures next week. Can you help us get to 75,000 signatures by Tuesday night?

ADD YOUR NAME THEN PASS IT ON
President Obama will speak to a joint session of Congress on Wednesday. There's been a lot of speculation about what he might say. Will he draw a line in the sand? Will he sell out the public option for the insurance industry? Or will he continue to say that he feels the public option is the best way to achieve his reform goals, but that he's willing to consider alternatives? We won't know until he speaks.

What we do know is that thanks to our House Healthcare Heroes, a healthcare reform bill without a public option is DOA in the House of Representatives.. So on Wednesday morning, hours before the President speaks, we'll deliver every signature to each of the 65 House Democrats and make sure they know that America has their back.

SEND A MESSAGE TO CONGRESS: "STAND UP FOR AMERICA AND WE'LL STAND UP FOR YOU"

We're near the end game. We will pass the choice of a public option this year. But victory is never easy. It takes the courage to stand your ground when the going gets tough.

Let's make sure our House Healthcare Heroes know when they stand their ground, we're standing with them.

Thank you for everything you do,

-Charles

Charles Chamberlain, Political Director
Democracy for America

Democracy for America relies on you and the people-power of more than one million members to fund the grassroots organizing and training that delivers progressive change on the issues that matter. Please Contribute Today and support our mission.

Paid for by Democracy for America, http://democracyforamerica.com/ and not authorized by any candidate. Contributions to Democracy for America are not deductible for federal income tax purposes.