[Peace-discuss] We have to kill them (II)

John Fettig john.fettig at gmail.com
Tue Sep 8 21:07:11 CDT 2009

On Tue, Sep 8, 2009 at 12:44 AM, C. G. Estabrook<galliher at illinois.edu> wrote:
> The BBC spent a good bit of time today talking about this picture -- and
> the question was the ethics of publishing it, rather than the ethics of
> causing it.

Couldn't the whole question of ethics of publishing the photo be side
stepped by omitting the soldier's name from the caption?  Looking at
the picture, I have my doubts that anybody other than those present at
the scene would be able to identify anybody in the picture.

I am curious how this has been handled in the past.  For example, were
photos published during WWII of wounded american soldiers?

In any event, I think the soldier's family has every right to be upset
about the photo. Who wants to see their mortally wounded child on the
cover of papers?  However, the press should have every right to
publish it.

John