[Peace-discuss] Showdown in Brighton on British Troops in Afghanistan

Robert Naiman naiman.uiuc at gmail.com
Thu Sep 10 13:59:47 CDT 2009

>From September 27 to October 1, the British Labour Party is holding
its annual conference in Brighton. The Campaign for Labour Party
Democracy is putting forward a resolution calling for the British
government to bring British troops home from Afghanistan. If this
resolution passes, it will add significantly to the pressure on the
British government to move further towards withdrawing its troops.
Two-thirds of Britons want British troops to come home, the
Independent recently reported.
If the British go, the pretense of an "international military
coalition" likely will have to be largely abandoned. And if the
pretense of an international military coalition is abandoned, that's
going to add significantly to pressure in Washington against an
indefinite continuation of the war. Already, Senator Levin and Speaker
Pelosi are telling the Obama Administration not to assume support from
Congress for sending more troops. So Americans who want the war to end
have a big stake in what happens in Brighton at the end of the month.
We don't get to vote, of course. But we can show our support.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/robert-naiman/showdown-in-brighton-on-b_b_282378.html

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2009/9/10/144319/143

http://www.justforeignpolicy.org/node/325

--
Robert Naiman
Just Foreign Policy
naiman at justforeignpolicy.org

Senator Feingold Calls for Timetable for U.S. Troop Withdrawal from Afghanistan
http://www.justforeignpolicy.org/act/exit-afghanistan