[Peace-discuss] (no subject)

C. G. Estabrook galliher at illinois.edu
Fri Sep 11 22:07:17 CDT 2009

The United States was founded as an “infant empire,” in the words of George
Washington. The conquest of the national territory was a grand imperial venture.
 From the earliest days, control over the hemisphere was a critical goal.

Latin America has retained its primacy in U.S. global planning. If the United
States cannot control Latin America, it cannot expect “to achieve a successful
order elsewhere in the world,” observed President Richard M. Nixon’s National
Security Council in 1971, when Washington was considering the overthrow of
Salvador Allende’s government in Chile.

[From http://inthesetimes.com/article/4864/militarizing_latin_america/>.]