[Peace-discuss] Yes Magazine: Can Illinois Feed Itself?

E. Wayne Johnson ewj at pigs.ag
Tue Sep 15 10:32:32 CDT 2009

What I mean by the nanny-state here is excessive regulations taking the
decision-making away from the people and putting in the hands of
bureaucrats, and then enforcing the regulations such that small players
are forced out of the game and the barrier for new entrants is set so
high that they can't manage to get in.  The cost is borne by the
consumer who pays higher prices.

A prime example of this the recent ban on home baked goods at the Urbana
Farmer's Market.  There was no harm done in allowing people to sell home
baked goods.  In fact, the stuff is better when it's baked at home.  Now
we have a public health bureau in  Champaign that insists on having only
for sale such goods as are baked in a commercial kitchen.  The effect is
that now only those who can tolerate the regulation can participate, new
entrants who could bake at home are discouraged, and competition to
supermarkets from small players is prevented.  Even though there was no
demonstrable risk, the public health bureau (the nannys) can say that
they did something and all of the nanny-statists can sleep better
thinking that the world is Safer because of their actions.  And it's a
total fantasy.  The world is not better or safer.  Things are worse
because of their intrusion, food is actually of poorer quality, higher
priced, and of less variety because the nannys intervened.

This scenario repeated over and over characterizes much of the
interaction between government and industry.  It's no wonder that so
many of our jobs have left the country.  The foxes of the authoritarian
state have stolen for their cronies, they have ravaged the henhouse, and
have driven the hens away.  Smart hens wont come back.