[Peace-discuss] Obama's war

C. G. Estabrook galliher at illinois.edu
Thu Sep 17 13:24:14 CDT 2009

This is OK on the domestic constituencies -- governmental & corporate -- for
aggressive war by the US, and on how the US has substituted physical force for
relative economic decline since over the past 50 years (for most of which time
Pfaff's been in Paris, I think).  But it's wrong to suggest that it makes no
difference where US presidents wage war.  (Clinton invaded Serbia, not Rwanda.)

It's simply false to say, "On Afghanistan, there seems to be no coherent reason
or vision as to why we are there."  The "reason or vision" is obvious, it's been
  the same for most of that 50 years, but the Obama administration (which knows
it perfectly well) can't admit it, for fear of domestic (and foreign)
opposition.  It needs the cover story of "stopping terrorism."  That's also the
only legal basis it has for killing people in AfPak  -- the Congress' AUMF of 2001.

During World War II the US State Department described the Mideast is the “most
strategically important area of the world,” and the area's vast energy resources
– oil and natural gas – as “a stupendous source of strategic power, and one of
the greatest material prizes in world history.” In the years since then, oil
companies and their associates have reaped colossal profits; but, even more
importantly to the US, control over two-thirds of the world’s estimated
hydrocarbon reserves – uniquely cheap and easy to exploit – provides what
Obama's foreign policy adviser Zbigniew Brzezinski called “critical leverage”
over European and Asian rivals, what the State Department many years earlier had
called “veto power” over them.

Pfaff's airy dismissal of Afghanistan's role in that policy is nonsense:

"Once, before all this started, [Afghanistan's] geographical location interested
U.S. oil interests as providing a route for a pipeline to carry Central Asian
oil to the sea. But today there are cheaper ways for moving oil than by a
pipeline across a country at war."

But it's a "country at war" only because the US wants it to be. The war would
end with US withdrawal, tho' the US puppet government probably wouldn't be the
victor...

Afghanistan's "geographical location" continues to interest the US  -- enough to
spend billions of dollars there.  Afghanistan is the keystone in the arch of US
colonial control of the Mideast, from the Mediterranean to Pakistan, from the
Caspian Sea to the Horn of Africa (note the US killings in Somalia this week) --
what the US calls "The Area of Responsibility of Central Command" -- presided
over by US proconsul (and presidential hopeful) Gen. David Petraeus.  (And see
Pepe Escobar's articles on "Pipelinistan.")

Even sillier, Pfaff repeats the assertion that Obama is "caught" in a war he
supported "to defend against Republican accusations of weakness." It's far more
disrespectful to Obama than saying "You lie" to say that he would lie about his
willingness to commit mass murder for a rhetorical advantage over the
Republicans.  But in fact he wasn't lying.  He was down with the program that
the US has followed in the Middle East for decades ("Minion of the Long War,"
<http://www.counterpunch.org/estabrook05012009.html>).

The US is concerned that the real opposition to US control of the region is
coming/will come from Pakistan, a country with 2/3 the population of the US --
and a larger army.  The war in AfPak is primarily to keep the -Pak part in line.
  (There are parallels with the wars in Vietnam and Korea, which the US wanted
largely to keep dangerous neighbors -- N. Korea & N. Vietnam -- in check.)

Some US planners (Stephen Biddle, David Kilcullen) even admit that we're killing
people in Afghanistan primarily to keep Pakistan from crabbing our
generations-long act in the Middle East.  --CGE