[Peace-discuss] [Fwd: ICH: U.S. Death Squads Roam The Globe]

C. G. Estabrook galliher at illinois.edu
Thu Sep 17 15:29:03 CDT 2009

[The piece by Chris Floyd that David cites should be read by all.]

At some point earlier this month, Barack Obama took a moment out of his busy day
to sign an "execute order." That is, he ordered American agents to kill a man
without any legal procedure whatsoever: no arrest, no trial, no formal
presentation – and disputation – of evidence, no defense…and no warning. They
killed him on the open road, in a sneak attack; he was not engaged in combat, he
was not posing an imminent threat to anyone at the time, he had not been charged
with any crime. This kind of thing is ordinarily regarded as murder. Certainly,
if you or I killed someone in this way – or paid someone to do it – then we
would find ourselves in the dock, facing life imprisonment or our own execution.
But then, you and I are subject to the law; our leaders are not.

Let's say it again, just to let the reality of the situation sink in a bit
further: at some point last week, Barack Obama ordered men in his employ to
murder another human being. And not a single voice of protest was raised
anywhere in the American political and media establishments. Churchmen did not
thunder from the pulpits about this lawless action. The self-proclaimed patriots
and liberty-lovers on the ever-more militant Right did not denounce this most
extreme expression of state tyranny: the leader's arbitrary power to kill anyone
he pleases. It is simply an accepted, undisputed fact of American life today
that American leaders can and do – and should – murder people, anywhere in the
world, if they see fit. When this supreme tyranny is noted at all, it is simply
to celebrate the Leader for his toughness -- or perhaps chide him for not
killing even more people in this fashion...