[Peace-discuss] Why America’s gone nuts

C. G. Estabrook galliher at illinois.edu
Mon Sep 21 18:59:15 CDT 2009

OK, let me try, using notions from a field I understand quite poorly (nothing new):

Jacques Lacan, half a charlatan and half the most insightful psychoanalyst of
the 20th century, spoke of "forclusion" (it would be "foreclosure" in English,
were the term not already in use) as a development of Freud's notion of
Verwerfung, in the sense of a specific defense mechanism which is distinct from
repression (Verdrängung), in which "the ego rejects the incompatible idea
together with its affect and behaves as if the idea had never occurred to the
ego at all." Lacan identifies Verwerfung as the specific mechanism of psychosis,
in which an element is rejected outside the symbolic order just as if it had
never existed.

Foreclosure is to be distinguished from other operations such as repression,
negation, and projection. Foreclosure differs from repression in that the
foreclosed element is not buried in the unconscious but expelled from the
unconscious. Repression is the operation which constitutes neurosis, whereas
foreclosure is the operation which constitutes psychosis.

America is nuts (psychotic) to the degree that it has expelled capitalist
imperialism, not just from its conscious discourse, but from its unconscious.
It just can't be. As a Brit publication summed it up last week, "the United
States has gone mad because those in power refuse to listen to voters."  That's
why we're seeing psychotic symptoms at town meetings.

If you wish to pursue the matter, I suggest articles on "foreclosure" at
<http://fmwww.bc.edu/pl/fac/richardson.fac.html> by Lacan's leading American
epigone, William J. Richardson, SJ; also, consult
<http://akriceinstitute.org/displaycommon.cfm?an=1&subarticlenbr=30>, the A. K.
Rice Institute for the Study of Social Systems (AKRI).  And for the masochists,
I have several articles on the subject...  --CGE