[Peace-discuss] Putting the LOAD on AfPak

C. G. Estabrook galliher at illinois.edu
Wed Sep 23 04:59:04 CDT 2009

The Limits of Allowable Debate are being applied to the "great decision" that
Our Leader has to make about AfPak (and you, silly, thought that the Congress
declared war!).  The limits are -- a little escalation, or a big escalation:

"...the two options being pressed on Obama are either continuing the war at the
current levels for the foreseeable future or continuing the war with even more
troops for the foreseeable future. Though Obama may ultimately choose to 'split
the difference' by offering a smaller escalation and continuing the war for the
foreseeable future, it seems unlikely the idea of ending the war, ever, will be
given any serious consideration."

G. B. Shaw wondered "Must then a Christ perish in torment in each generation to
save those who have no imagination?"  Our leaders are causing many Christs, many
martyrs, Middle Eastern and even American, to perish in torment.  We should be
working on awakening the imagination of our fellow citizens about what we're
responsible for, even though it's Obama's criminal decisions that effect it.

And I keep having fantasies that he'll Do the Right Thing and announce a
withdrawal.  But I don't believe it.  --CGE

========

	Obama Under Growing Pressure to Add More Troops in Afghanistan
	Top Congressional Democrat Urges More Escalation
	by Jason Ditz, September 22, 2009

Just months after taking office, President Barack Obama leapt at the opportunity
to announce a massive escalation in Afghanistan, adding 21,000 troops to the war
effort as part of his “new” strategy.

Here it is, six months later, and the president is faced with adopting another
“new” strategy in the face of an ever worsening war and his new commander
General Stanley McChrystal is demanding another 45,000 troops on top of the
21,000 already sent.

It wasn’t surprising that, faced with the prospect of committing such a massive
number of additional troops to the increasingly unpopular war over the
objections of several high ranking Senators, he didn’t instantly embrace the plan.

But even though it seems likely his havering is more about waiting for a more
politically convenient time to announce the massive escalation, several Pentagon
officials and now the top Democrat on the House Armed Services committee, Rep.
Ike Skelton are criticizing him for not immediately committing to it.

Rep. Skelton, who recently warned that popular opposition to the war could
destroy America somehow, is cautioning Obama to learn the “lessons of history,”
which means to him throwing however many troops and however much money into
Afghanistan as the commander wants.

Though polls have showed the vast, vast majority of registered Democrats firmly
opposed to the Afghan War, it is noteworthy that among Congressional Democrats

http://news.antiwar.com/2009/09/22/obama-under-growing-pressure-to-add-more-troops-in-afghanistan/