[Peace-discuss] Letter to our Congressman

C. G. Estabrook galliher at illinois.edu
Sun Sep 27 09:16:07 CDT 2009

Representative Timothy V. Johnson
Illinois 15th Congressional District

Tim--

I was pleased to read in the News-Gazette (“Johnson plans to push to get
troops out of Afghanistan,” by Tom Kacich, Tuesday September 22, 2009)
that you are "working with a bipartisan group, including Reps. Ron Paul,
R-Texas, Jim McGovern, D-Mass., and Jerry Costello, D-Belleville, on ...
Afghanistan withdrawal legislation."

 From Palestine to Pakistan the US is committing what the Nuremberg
tribunal called "the supreme international crime" -- aggressive war. And
not to "stop terrorism" -- it does just the opposite -- but for
geopolitical advantage, by means of control of the area's energy
resources. We must stop.

I was also pleased to see your opposition to the administration's
"Insurance Industry Profit Protection and Enhancement Act" -- Sen.
Baucus' health care reform bill, accurately called by an insurance
company executive in Congressional testimony "an absolute gift to the
industry."

Having recently reached the (ridiculously restrictive) age  for
Medicare, I'm experiencing first-hand the obvious answer to the problem
-- Medicare for all. The market capitalization of the publicly traded
health insurers is about $150 billion. The federal government could
purchase the lot of them for a fraction of the TARP funds -- under $200
billion. The total administrative costs of the U.S. healthcare system --
greatly inflated by all the paperwork and second-guessing of doctors'
decisions generated by the insurance industry -- are about $400 billion
a year. Those administrative costs are about three times what a
Canadian-style single-payer system would cost. So that means we'd save
about $250 billion a year by eliminating the waste caused by our private
insurance system. And the solution to the problem would pay for itself
in well under a year.

That's much better than the Obama administration's expensive gimcrack plan.

Regards, Carl Estabrook