[Peace-discuss] Pentagon murder coverup?

Stuart Levy slevy at ncsa.uiuc.edu
Mon Apr 5 12:09:11 CDT 2010

On Mon, Apr 05, 2010 at 11:12:41AM -0500, Stuart Levy wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 05, 2010 at 03:57:18AM -0500, John W. wrote:
> > WikiLeaks.com is based in Iceland, then?
>
> It seems that some of their people are from there, but they take care to
> be obscure -- and to have mirror sites around the world.   They expose
> things that powerful people and governments don't want exposed.
> The story of surveillance on the front page of wikileaks.org makes
> interesting reading.

and, the video has been released (as mentioned in an al Jazeera article), at:

    http://collateralmurder.org/

"5th April 2010 10:44 EST WikiLeaks has released a classified US military video
depicting the indiscriminate slaying of over a dozen people in the Iraqi suburb
of New Baghdad -- including two Reuters news staff.

Reuters has been trying to obtain the video through the Freedom of Information
Act, without success since the time of the attack. The video, shot from an
Apache helicopter gun-site, clearly shows the unprovoked slaying of a wounded
Reuters employee and his rescuers. Two young children involved in the rescue
were also seriously wounded.

The military did not reveal how the Reuters staff were killed,
and stated that they did not know how the children were injured.

After demands by Reuters, the incident was investigated and the U.S. military
concluded that the actions of the soldiers were in accordance with the law of
armed conflict and its own 'Rules of Engagement'.

Consequently, WikiLeaks has released the classified Rules of Engagement for
2006, 2007 and 2008, revealing these rules before, during, and after the
killings.

WikiLeaks has released both the original 38 minutes video and a shorter version
with an initial analysis. Subtitles have been added to both versions from the
radio transmissions.

WikiLeaks obtained this video as well as supporting documents from a number of
military whistleblowers. WikiLeaks goes to great lengths to verify the
authenticity of the information it receives. We have analyzed the information
about this incident from a variety of source material. We have spoken to
witnesses and journalists directly involved in the incident."

  [and more -- see the web site, which also has the video]

> > On Sun, Apr 4, 2010 at 7:14 PM, C. G. Estabrook <galliher at illinois.edu>wrote:
> >

> > > [On News from Neptune on UPTV Friday night (soon online at FB News from
> > > Neptune and <www.newsfromneptune.com>), you may have heard about the
> > > whistleblower web site WikiLeaks' plan to release a video that reveals what
> > > it's calling a Pentagon cover-up of an incident in which numerous civilians
> > > and journalists were murdered in an airstrike. The video is scheduled to be
> > > released tomorrow morning (4/5) at 9am EDT at the National Press Club in DC.
> > > --CGE]
> > >
> > >    Wikileaks to Unveil Secret Video
> > >    * By Nathan Hodge
> > >    * April 2, 2010
> > >
> > > On Monday, Wikileaks plans to show classified video of a 2009 U.S. military
> > > air strike in Afghanistan that reportedly claimed the lives of dozens of
> > > civilians.
> > >
> > > Existence of the video is no secret. In May 2009, Gen. David Petraeus, the
> > > head of U.S. Central Command, told National Public Radio that the military
> > > planned to show part of it in a press briefing. The footage, military
> > > officials said, would prove that the Taliban deliberately tried to draw U.S.
> > > fire onto buildings crowded with innocent civilians.
> > >
> > > That video was never shown. Now Wikileaks claims it has “cracked the
> > > encryption” of a copy it obtained. And it says the video will show proof of
> > > a “Pentagon murder-coverup.”
> > >
> > > We haven’t seen the video, but it’s sure to touch off a major debate about
> > > press freedom and government secrecy. Wikileaks claims that it’s the target
> > > of a deliberate campaign of surveillance and harassment by *Icelandic
> > > authorities and U.S. spooks*. And it’s released an ominous series of
> > > tweets that simultaneously hype the release of the video, and suggest a
> > > government conspiracy to block its release...
> > >
> > > Read More
> > > http://www.wired.com/dangerroom/2010/04/hype-conspiracy-or-must-see-tv-wikileaks-to-unveil-drone-video/#ixzz0kBBxpj43
> > >

> > --
> > believed to be clean.