[Peace-discuss] Must see: Moyers Journal 4/2/10

C. G. Estabrook galliher at illinois.edu
Mon Apr 5 16:03:30 CDT 2010

Another example of the debate that's been described as 'What Skin Color the Rich
Kids Should Have.'

A number of recent writers on US politics have suggested that, in the generation
just ending, the language of identity has displaced arguments about economic
inequality – that we now have a politics of recognition, but not a politics of
redistribution. E. g., Walter Benn Michaels in his 2006 book "The Trouble with
Diversity: How We Learned to Love Identity and Ignore Inequality" stresses that
the American political class (roughly the 20% of the population with a good
college education) substitutes issues regarding race for those involving class.

Of course all those outside the political class, having not got the memo on what
the approved topics of debate are, can be dismissed as racists.

See Frank Rich's recent columns in the NYT to learn how this is done. --CGE

On 4/5/10 1:04 PM, Jenifer Cartwright wrote:
> The entire show is EXCELLENT this week. Here's the link:
> http://www.pbs.org/moyers/journal/index-flash.html --Jenifer

believed to be clean.