[Peace-discuss] [lbo-talk] Fwd: Moyers interviews Andrew Bacevich

C. G. Estabrook galliher at illinois.edu
Sun Apr 11 00:03:18 CDT 2010

[A disturbingly inadequate account that does not stray beyond the usual limits
of allowable debate. Bacevich does consider why we're in Afghanistan (translated
form the sanitized American, "in" = "killing people in") for "the longest war in
U.S. history."  He seems to ascribe it to the stupidity of American leaders, but
they're not stupid.  They're criminal.  And what are we to think of a purported
military historian who can say things as flat-out false as, "We quit after the
Mogadishu firefight in Somalia ... We quit in Vietnam, having paid an enormous
cost, to try to maintain the viability of South Vietnam..."?  --CGE]

BILL MOYERS: ... This slaughter of innocents has led the pro-American
"Economist" magazine to question whether our entire effort in Afghanistan" has
been nothing but a meaningless exercise of misguided violence."

ANDREW BACEVICH: ... we have a second army. And the second army are the units
that comprise Special Operations forces. They exist in secrecy ... McChrystal
himself comes out of the Special Operations community. That's his entire
background is in Special Operations ... why, if indeed the purpose of the
exercise in Afghanistan is to, I mean, to put it crudely, drag this country into
the modern world, why put a four-star general in charge of that? ... this kind
of does bring us back, in a way, to Vietnam, where we found ourselves harnessed
to allies, partners that turned out to be either incompetent or corrupt. Or
simply did not share our understanding of what needed to be done for that
country ... we don't learn from history. And there is this persistent, and I
think almost inexplicable belief that the use of military force in some
godforsaken country on the far side of the planet will not only yield some kind
of purposeful result, but by extension, will produce significant benefits for
the United States. I mean, one of the obvious things about the Afghanistan war
that is so striking and yet so frequently overlooked is that we're now in the
ninth year of this war.  It is the longest war in American history. And it is a
war for which there is no end in sight. And to my mind, it is a war that is
utterly devoid of strategic purpose. And the fact that that gets so little
attention from our political leaders, from the press or from our fellow
citizens, I think is simply appalling, especially when you consider the amount
of money we're spending over there and the lives that are being lost whether
American or Afghan ... if we could wave a magic wand tomorrow and achieve in
Afghanistan all the purposes that General McChrystal would like us to achieve,
would the Jihadist threat be substantially reduced as a consequence? And does
anybody think that somehow, Jihadism is centered or headquartered in
Afghanistan? When you think about it for three seconds, you say, "Well, of
course, it's not. It is a transnational movement" ... They can come from
Brooklyn. So the notion that somehow, because the 9/11 attacks were concocted in
this place, as indeed they were, the notion that therefore, the transformation
of Afghanistan will provide some guarantee that there won't be another 9/11 is
patently absurd. Quite frankly, the notion that we can prevent another 9/11 by
invading and occupying and transforming countries is absurd ... We should view
Al-Qaeda as the equivalent of an international criminal conspiracy. Sort of a
mafia that in some way or another draws its energy or legitimacy from a
distorted understanding of a particular religious tradition. And as with any
other international criminal conspiracy, the proper response is a police effort
... We are now close to a decade into what the Pentagon now calls, "The Long
War." And it is a war in which one-half of one percent of the American people
bear the burden. And the other 99.5 percent basically go on about their daily
life, as if the war did not exist.  I mean, the great paradox of the Long War,
is that it seems the Long War consists of a series of campaigns with Iraq and
Afghanistan being the two most important, although one could add Pakistan and
Yemen to the list, in which there seems to be no way to wind down the campaign
... we do find ourselves in this circumstance where permanent war now seems to
have become the norm. And we don't know what to do about that...

http://www.pbs.org/moyers/journal/04092010/transcript3.html

believed to be clean.